Mark V 112 Combo vs Roadster 212 Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLP07

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First post. Couldn't decide whether to post in Recto or Mark V forum. But here I am. Over the course of the last two weeks I have spent hours playing these two beauties - Mark V 112 and Roadster 212 - have also dedicated hours reading several internet discussions on this very topic. Both amps are so damned good!! After playing, sifting and a couple bottle of tylenol, I am still undecided, but have some direction. I am recreational player who doesn't like to swap gear in and out often and gravitate to combos over heads because generally speaking, the speakers in the combos are great matches in any boogie product.

The roadster is used, mint and a great price. Think that I could buy it and down the road just buy a Mark V head and run it through the 212. Costly, but an option. That's a back burner idea. I would have to wait to find a used V or just take the plunge and buy new.

The Mark V

My ears tell me I can get several more sounds out of the Mark V. Hey, it is advertised as 9 amps in one. I was never a Mark 1 fan, but do like the clean. The IIC+, IV and IV Extreme, will get a lot of use. I may not be able to mirror the Recto sound, but a couple conversations gave me a lead on running a pedal through the loop to reasonably acheive this or dialing it in with the EQ.

Also running in 45 and 5 watt modes suits me and the 45 watts mode does not seem to affect the sound and character of the amp. The point I remember most from the conversations I read is the Mark V's ability to control the distortion through the preamp EQ is something no other amp can match. I am almost sold on that point alone.

The Roadster

Simple - almost plug and play. Four, count 'em FOUR! independent channels, a real chugger. The Recto sound. Unless in clean mode, doubt I'd be playing ch 1 or 2 very often. Do love 3 & 4. Having said that, while I really like it, I don't seem to get the versatility in sound and switching from the 100W to the 50W mode does seem to alter the character. Not huge and maybe it is just me but I sense a difference.

Something about the 212 that does make the sound larger or maybe its just that Recto lag that does that.

Synopsis

At the end of the day it seems to me the versatility of the Mark V outweighs the Roadster. In time, maybe I can replicate the Recto sound on the Mark V, but doubt I can replicate the Mark V sound on the Roadster.

Anyone care to weigh in?

I Have the Roadster Head with a 2x12 cab. I love the **** out of it! I have played the Mark V's love them to. What I have found is that I only really use 1 channal most of the time. It's cool to have all the other sounds there but I just find myself using channal 4 modern. Yes In time of I had the money I would get a Mark V. All I can really say is take you'r time and listen to you'r ear's. Both are great amps. Either way you can't go wrong.
Good luck!!
Rock on Bro!!!
Cabal

Ive owned both the roadster and mkv. Both great amps. The problem is you wont be able to duplicate the recto sound on a mkv or a mark sound on a recto. they are too different. The roadster is fatter and wider sounding. So it is not just the 2x12 format (although that helps). The mk series is thinner, more cutting in the midrange, and warmer. As far as versatility goes, I feel the mkv has more "different sounding tones" while the roadster has more modes and 4 channels but a lot of the sounds are similar (raw, vintage, modern are not too sonically different) while edge, crunch, or mk1 are extremely different sounding. It depends on what you are going for i guess. If you need versatility take the v. if you want smash you in your face power with a great clean channel then get the roadster. For what its worth i chose the mkv and no longer have the roadster (will have a recto again someday though)

the roadster 212 is a heavy heavy amp. this coming from a guy who has had mark combos with EVs. keep that in mind.

you should decide if you like the mark voicinng or the recto voicing. they are both great amps.

I was in the same boat 2 years ago. Ok it is really a cruise ship if you are deciding between a Roadster and MarkV. The other posters have already nailed the differences. Both amps are great, so it just comes down to preference and application. I ordered a MarkV without hearing one (serial #121 , i.e. 21st one made) but it wasn't what I was looking for at the time and swapped it for a Roadster. I love the growl and chugga chugga of the Roadster. The cleans on the MarkV blew me away and even made the Roadster cleans sound meh in comparison (I've since come to realize how great the Roadster cleans are though). Long story short I ended up with both. I couldn't get the MarkV tone out of my head for 2 years. You can't go wrong with either (Roadster is heavy as hell though), and together they sound great. So get one and save for the other :D

Seriously though, I rarely need all 4 channels of the Roadster. And on the V I wish I had more. The 10watts on the V is awesome (ok all the modes are). It is just a bit thin sometimes (especially with 1x12). The V is great when miked though, doesn't sound thin at all.

I would never own a Roadster 2x12 Combo.

That has got to be one of the heaviest amps on the planet.

Hi... Thanks for all of the great advice! One important point is the weight. I think the 212 Roadster almost weighs as much as I do. However, thankfully I am just a recreational player and either one would not get moved very often. I guess the thinner sound of the Mark V could be what I am not liking about it. My playing style is ZZ Top, Zepplin, Van Halen, Metallica, GnR, Mostly rythym but some lead stuff. The quest continues...

Back