Mark ll C+ help / information

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JOEY B. said:
One of these http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12AX7-ECC83-Tube-Types/JAN-GE-5751 in the phase inverter position might also help tame a 60/100 Boogie.

Thank you again, Joey!

I rock a 5751 in the PI slot in my Mk iii and love it there

You actually sold me the tube and the amp buster! Thanks again bro. You da man!

HelpingFriendly said:
I rock a 5751 in the PI slot in my Mk iii and love it there

You actually sold me the tube and the amp buster! Thanks again bro. You da man!

Glad your enjoying the MK lll and the 5751, thanks for the RFT trades .. I've had those 5751,s just sittin around for a while now and just put one in the PI of a C+ per another B/B members suggestion. I love it. I can dial the gain up a little more and still remain smooth. Can't wait for the tungrams to get here. I'll report back on the RFT in V1 & V2 - tungrams in V3 & V4 - 5751 in PI cocktail.

I have found RFT in V1 will make your cleans break up to early and ruin them. In V1 the gain factor plays a big roll for obvious reasons. RFT's too hot..

kippiejr said:
I have found RFT in V1 will make your cleans break up to early and ruin them. In V1 the gain factor plays a big roll for obvious reasons. RFT's too hot..

That is exactly why I ended up with Tungsram in V1 and V2, with the RFT in V3 and V4.

I have tried that combo. Bravo! RFT great option for V3 V4. Watch out for over driving some delays..

JOEY B. said:
kippiejr said:

That is exactly why I ended up with Tungsram in V1 and V2, with the RFT in V3 and V4.

Oops- I was going from what I have left of my memory. I mixed up the RFT's and the tungrams and their prospective placements in my posting. I do intend to go by Joeys suggestion. I just got back from vacation and haven't had a chance to give them a whirl. By Monday I'll have spent time with them. I'll report back . Sorry about the dyslexic moment.

Buster Leggs said:
JOEY B. said:
One of these http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12AX7-ECC83-Tube-Types/JAN-GE-5751 in the phase inverter position might also help tame a 60/100 Boogie.

I bought a batch of those, or at least something very close. Mine are JAN GE 5751 5 star triple mica. Are mine comparable ?

From what I've read, the vintage triple-micas are preferred as they are quieter. I have an RCA triple-mica black plate and it's dead-quiet and a solid tube.

Buster Leggs said:
Ditto. Bought and paid for but with a cv4024 in PI slot. Joey I really think you should check into some form of a referral commission. T.M. is going to come in tomorrow and realize labor day weekend was very good for sales for some reason. :lol:

I assume you're talking the 12AT7WA Mullard. In my experience, an excellent tube for a P.I. I prefer it over the 5751 for PI. YMMV...

dodger916 said:
Buster Leggs said:
Ditto. Bought and paid for but with a cv4024 in PI slot. Joey I really think you should check into some form of a referral commission. T.M. is going to come in tomorrow and realize labor day weekend was very good for sales for some reason. :lol:

I assume you're talking the 12AT7WA Mullard. In my experience, an excellent tube for a P.I. I prefer it over the 5751 for PI. YMMV...

The one I have is a Brimar CV 4024 /12at7WA black box plates. I like it better in the PI slot than the 5751 also. Just to follow up on the tube cocktail mentioned earlier in this thread, what's working the best (for me) in the HRG is V1 & V2, NOS tungrams. V3 & V4. NOS RFT's. PI the Brimar I mentioned earlier. I did cut back a little on the highs and run presence on about 3 instead of 5 - 6 but this amp just sings and I'm done rolling tubes (415's in the power section). I wanted to wait a while to get back on this to be certain, sometimes my opinion change under different circumstances (house volume, practice volume, gig volume, atmospheric conditions :shock: ) but I'm going on a month with them and I couldn't be happier. I use the same combination with the DRG but one exception. I like the Holland/harleen in V1. Right now I have a 5751 in the PI because I don't have another CV 4024. I tried it in the simul and liked it over the 5751 there as well, tames it just a little more. Dodger do you have an opition about the Brimar I mentioned and the Mullard you mentioned ? I need 2 more and was wondering if you have any knowledge on how they differ ? THANKS

Buster Leggs said:
The one I have is a Brimar CV 4024 /12at7WA black box plates. I like it better in the PI slot than the 5751 also. Just to follow up on the tube cocktail mentioned earlier in this thread, what's working the best (for me) in the HRG is V1 & V2, NOS tungrams. V3 & V4. NOS RFT's. PI the Brimar I mentioned earlier. I did cut back a little on the highs and run presence on about 3 instead of 5 - 6 but this amp just sings and I'm done rolling tubes (415's in the power section). I wanted to wait a while to get back on this to be certain, sometimes my opinion change under different circumstances (house volume, practice volume, gig volume, atmospheric conditions :shock: ) but I'm going on a month with them and I couldn't be happier. I use the same combination with the DRG but one exception. I like the Holland/harleen in V1. Right now I have a 5751 in the PI because I don't have another CV 4024. I tried it in the simul and liked it over the 5751 there as well, tames it just a little more. Dodger do you have an opition about the Brimar I mentioned and the Mullard you mentioned ? I need 2 more and was wondering if you have any knowledge on how they differ ? THANKS

Did you mean "option" or "opinion"? Don't really know how they differ, but I suspect they would be pretty similar in overall tonal "architecture".

Glad you like the Holland tube. It's my favorite in V1 of my DRGX C+.

dodger916 said:
Buster Leggs said:

Did you mean "option" or "opinion"? Don't really know how they differ, but I suspect they would be pretty similar in overall tonal "architecture".

Glad you like the Holland tube. It's my favorite in V1 of my DRGX C+.

Sorry, I meant opinion. That one got by me. Oddly enough, the HX C+ that I originally started the post for, has 4 winged =C='s and 3 mesa SP12ax7's - 5751 in PI slot in it. I've done some tube rolling with some of the tubes that sound so good in my other pluses (including 415"s) and went back to afore mentioned tubes. With the Mesa's / =C= / 5751 tubes it has a "girth" or bigness (?) to it that seemed to diminish with NOS tubes. It sounds F'N huge. I don't know why that is. Fall's under the if it ain't broke.......... philosophy. Also I guess it's an advantage that it sounds completely different than the rest. Thank you all for the help !!!

Latest posts

Back