Mark ll C+ help / information

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Leggs

Reaction score
I have an HX head (60/100, no reverb) that I bought a few months back. It' one of my best sounding pluses so I never changed any of the tubes, leaving well enough alone. I just noticed that it only has 3 pre-amp tubes + the PI, no V4 per say
,. I'm no expert but I thought only the 60 waters had that pre-amp tube set up. This is the only one I have with no reverb but my understanding has been that reverb shares half of one of the 4 pre-amp tubes in a 60/100 watt C+. Can someone please tell me that this is the way this amp is supposed to be or is something funky going on here. Thank you in advance for your reply.

Thanks for the reply Joey, good to know I didn't buy a freak. How dose that work, What are V1 -V3 assigned to. THANKS

Look at the tube task chart in the manual. http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%20II-C%20Manual%20-%20Maintenance%20&%20Repair.pdf

Remove the reverb from V3 and V4, then combine the Lead Drive into the two triodes of V3. Quite simple, don't you think?

Thanks Joey, I like the fact that the lead drive amp is on 1 tube instead of half on 2 tubes. Even though it sounds good already I'm curious what a NOS would sound like in V3. Thanks again for your help.

Late 1960's RFT ECC83 12AX7 works well. http://www.tubemonger.com/12AX7_ECC83_ECC803S_E83CC_7025_CV4004_CV492_CV4035_M8137_s/6.htm?searching=Y&sort=9&cat=6&show=10&page=1&search=%20RFT

Thanks, I just got 2 of those in a trade, I traded him 2- 5751 5 star triple micas. I haven't taken the RFT's out of the box yet but I will now . He got the RFT's from tubemonger but then decided he wanted to tame his MK lll a little. The 5751's brought him closer to what he's lookin for. I'll check the rft in v3 Tuesday when I practice, that's the only time I can turn it up to really tell. When I crank it at home I risk going to jail (I've been warned by the men with the shiny black shoes).

J B. - Mike told me the tungrams were stock in the factory pluses. What is the best source for those? Thanks

I picked up a matched pair for V1 and V2. Thank you, Joey!

I have a 60/100W with the X101 (plus GEQ and Rev). What tubes do you suggest to make the amp a little smoother?

Best regards and thanks in advance.

igfraso said:

I have a 60/100W with the X101 (plus GEQ and Rev). What tubes do you suggest to make the amp a little smoother?

I would try the preamp tube cocktail that has been discussed in this thread. For power tubes in a 60/100, the STR-415 or Winged =C= are hard to beat. To smooth out the feel of a 60/100, use it in 100 watt mode with an 8-ohm speaker cab hooked to the 4-ohm speaker jack of the amp. 8)

JOEY B. said:
igfraso said:

I would try the preamp tube cocktail that has been discussed in this thread. For power tubes in a 60/100, the STR-415 or Winged =C= are hard to beat. To smooth out the feel of a 60/100, use it in 100 watt mode with an 8-ohm speaker cab hooked to the 4-ohm speaker jack of the amp. 8)

Thanks for all the tips Joey. **** I better get on those tubes right now.

JOEY B. said:

Preamp cocktail is already purchased and, probably, on its way tomorrow (Tungsram in V1 and V2; RFT in V3 and V4; and GT12AX7M in V5).
Power tubes are STR-415 and speakers are MS-12 in the combo and EVM-12L in the Thiele.

I have been using the Simulclass emulation as suggested by Mike B. but wanted to see what else I could do to make the 60/100 a little less aggressive.

Thank you very much Joey! I appreciate your time and advice.
Best regards

igfraso said:
JOEY B. said:

Preamp cocktail is already purchased and, probably, on its way tomorrow (Tungsram in V1 and V2; RFT in V3 and V4; and GT12AX7M in V5).
Power tubes are STR-415 and speakers are MS-12 in the combo and EVM-12L in the Thiele.

I have been using the Simulclass emulation as suggested by Mike B. but wanted to see what else I could do to make the 60/100 a little less aggressive.

Thank you very much Joey! I appreciate your time and advice.
Best regards

Ditto. Bought and paid for but with a cv4024 in PI slot. Joey I really think you should check into some form of a referral commission. T.M. is going to come in tomorrow and realize labor day weekend was very good for sales for some reason. :lol:

JOEY B. said:
One of these http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12AX7-ECC83-Tube-Types/JAN-GE-5751 in the phase inverter position might also help tame a 60/100 Boogie.

I bought a batch of those, or at least something very close. Mine are JAN GE 5751 5 star triple mica. Are mine comparable ?

Buster Leggs said:
JOEY B. said:
One of these http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12AX7-ECC83-Tube-Types/JAN-GE-5751 in the phase inverter position might also help tame a 60/100 Boogie.

I bought a batch of those, or at least something very close. Mine are JAN GE 5751 5 star triple mica. Are mine comparable ?

That is a question much better suited to the tube vendors. I would say yes, but assumption is the 'mother" of all F-up's. :wink:

Latest posts

Back