Mark IVa - The Honeymoon Continues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_fender

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm still in love with my "new" Mark IVa compact combo. This amp kicks so much ***, I can't believe it. I've had a few more chances take the amp out and really crank it up (LOUD!) in a band setting, and I have to say that the EV speaker has really grown on me. I suppose my initial dissatisfaction with the EV was due my being so used to the overly dark nature of my rectoverb combo. The EV has such great clearity, no mud whatsoever. My ROV was SO bassy that with my Les Paul, I often had the bass set almost completely off. The Mark IV has such a tight and sweet sound that just slices right through the mix. It lacks the irritating "boomy" and "buzzy" qualities of my ROV and replaces them with creamy sweatness and harmonics that jump right off the guitar. The clean is so sweet and just blooms. With my Strat it's full on SRV ala his rendition of Little Wing (with minor tweaks the Hendrix version tone is in there too). The reverb is just beautiful. Even the ill tempered Rhythm 2 channel sounds fantastic.

For now, I'm gonna stick with the combo for a while instead of swapping to a head & cab. I've come to like the creme tolex more as well. It's classy and different. I can't say I like the wicker grille as much though and may recover the grille with cloth or jute weave or something like that. I was thinking maybe Oxblood to go with the creme tolex, like the old classic fenders. Black would look cool too like this ROV from the Boogie website:

rov_cb.jpg

I may eventually add a thiele for more spread, since they are so highly recommended for the Mark IV's. In general, I'm a happy camper and my Rectoverb combo will soon be up for sale. For all of the guys here that helped convice me to take the plunge and buy the Mark IV, all I can say is... THANK YOU!!!!! :D :D :D

Oh, Yeah....

I love to hear things like this about others and Mark IV's. It reassures me that I am not just putting this amp on a pedastool and making it better in my head than it actually is. I am thoroughly convinced that the Mark IV has got to be one of the best Mesa's.

Back