Mark IV with two 2x12s or one 4x12 / SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_cor

Reaction score
To be, or not to be. That is not my question.

Sooner or later I'll be picking up a cabinet(s). I want a stereo mark IV rig so I plan on getting a simul-satelite ( Does anyone know if those are rack-mountable?) anyways,first thing is first, I need a cabinet, or two. I want that big Umph sound you get from a recto 4x12 but I also want a stereo rig for the future and was wondering if two 2x12s give me the same killer tone that one 4x12 would? I would prefer to get two 2x12s for two reasons; when I do small gigs and only need one 2x12, than it's easier to lug around opposed to lugging around one 4x12 and I plan on having a stereo rig so this would be one more thing I can check off the list.

Thanks

I used to run a Tremoverb head into 2 recto 2x12 cabs. It sounded awesome as the bass was tighter and just as heavy as 1 recto 4x12. Some may disagree but for me the 2 closed back recto 2x12 sounded better than one 4x12.

Here's one idea, get a stereo/mono 4x12 and then 2 Thieles for the smaller gigs. The Thieles are very portable and would still give you some nice thump on the small gigs.

Tuna141 said:
Here's one idea, get a stereo/mono 4x12 and then 2 Thieles for the smaller gigs. The Thieles are very portable and would still give you some nice thump on the small gigs.

Thanks, but I have my doubts about using 1x12s, I can't imagine two 1x12s standing up to two 2x12s, plus, if i do that setup, i'll have to get 3 cabs, and one 4x12 won't make those spacious effects sound spacious. :(
but it def gives me somethign to think about

Nick_cor said:
Thanks, but I have my doubts about using 1x12s, I can't imagine two 1x12s standing up to two 2x12s

I can :shock: . That's why I sold the halfback 4x12 and am moving to a 4 thiele/stereo Simul C+ setup. :D Very portable, and all EV loaded cabs. I would not be afraid to put this setup against a 150 watt (Celestion loaded) full stack.

JOEY B. said:
Nick_cor said:
Thanks, but I have my doubts about using 1x12s, I can't imagine two 1x12s standing up to two 2x12s

I can :shock: . That's why I sold the halfback 4x12 and am moving to a 4 thiele/stereo Simul C+ setup. :D Very portable, and all EV loaded cabs. I would not be afraid to put this setup against a 150 watt (Celestion loaded) full stack.

Really? I've changed the topic because of you, so are you using two mark IIC+ heads and two 1x12 thiele cabs per head? and I'm guessing you're saying it'll sound better than using two 2x12's because they're ported?

Nick_cor said:
Really? I've changed the topic because of you, so are you using two mark IIC+ heads and two 1x12 thiele cabs per head? and I'm guessing you're saying it'll sound better than using two 2x12's because they're ported?

I can't say that two ported 1x12's will sound better than a sealed 2x12. But I can for sure say that they will sound larger, with the ports and EV's. :D

Latest posts

Back