Mark IV with MJM Blues Devil = SRV/JIMI/ROBIN TROWER heaven

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noe5

Reaction score
Wow, all thoughts of not being able to get a SRV strat-sound out of a Mark I are now all out the window. I just experienced tonal nirvana this afternoon, sorry i sound a bit flustered.

Some of you who have ready my previous posts will know that i have a MarkIVa imbuya combo and have recently changed the EV for a V30. First off, i love this mod. It's made R2 much more useable, and while adding a bit of 'grit' to the sound (slightly less hifi), it's added a real warmth and more spread to the sound, the combo doesnt sound as boxy anymore.

Now comes the MJM Blues devil (basically an 808 clone). I plugged this thing in with about 1/3 level, 3/4 full tone and 1/3 drive, and EVERY channel works with it.
- R1 becomes the best 'cranked clean' ever
- R2 becomes the PERFECT SRV angry strat sound
- And lead turns into higher gain EVH
I am basically using slightly modified versions of the 'instant gratification' settings from the card that comes with the amp. That's now 6 instant sounds and i have the choice of EQ or not left.

The beauty of it all is that this is the first time i dont feel like having the GEQ always on. Again i have the classic V set-up, and turning it on just gives extra bottom and tops, but oddly enough i can go back and forth with the EQ on/off and not miss it too much.

Sorry to carry on like this, but this pedal is just amazing and it has turned this wonderful amp into the best i have ever heard.

Next,i am going to plug my rocktron multivalve again in the loop for some delays and different eq/comp settings. The quest continues!

Back