MArk IV vs. Road King

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to travel 250 miles each way....3 times and uphill in a snowstorm both ways.... But it was worth it. Seriously...I live in Canada

Bullen said:
That´s a hard one.

It really depends on which type of tone you prefer. The focused midrangey sound of the Mark IV or the big bottomed, scooped, slightly buzzy gain of a rectifier.

They sound very different.

For versatility the RK might be better, and it has great cleans, semi dist, sweet lead tones and that famous recto tone. The ability to use different power tubes and wattage and a good footswitch.

The Mark IV is also pretty versatile. It´s capable of a lot of different sounds and also has the ability to use both 6L6 and EL34 tubes and different wattage.

I prefer the mark series to the recto´s. But both are great. Try them out to see which one you prefer. Be sure to try the Mark IV with a 4x12 before you decide, makes it sound a lot bigger.

The above comments are only true if you're talking about the RK II, which is not what is being considered here.

No way the RK I is more versatile than any of the Mark IVs (A or B), the cleans on the RK I are absolutley abysmal -- just bad.

The Mark IV even in the presence of the new RK II (whcih I own), an awesome multifaceted amp, holds it's own in terms of versatility and tone. It all comes down to what you want, RECTO or MARK Tones.

Me, I couldn't settle, so I purchased both. :wink:

trem said:
You know if you had asked this question in the "modern" forum, you'd get a completely different answer. They'd also tell you to run a pedal in front of your recto to get a good lead sound.

Just some weird things I have observed so far. :lol:

~trem

PS: Welcome to the club of Mark IV fans.

Well, you're right about that. I belong to both clubs...and I wouldn't have steered em to the Recto side.....

And it is true you do need a pedal in front of a RECTO (I have a RKII) to get a good lead tone......

But dang, the cleans are awesome as are the recto tones.

"Horses for courses." :wink:

That was a really fast decision. I didn't even get to play. I was away yesterday. Glad to hear that you got the right amp though.

My other guitarist uses a Mark IV through a 90's 4x12 halfback and it sounds perfect for what you're trying to achieve. Riffs/runs track like butter and has huge tone and overhead volume. He cuts through the mix a little better than me with my 97 DR through the same kind of halfback.
I'd fly with the Mark IV & 4x12 halfback....sweet, sweet tone.
There's a halfback on the bay as we speak !

Happy hunting !

\t/\m/

There's actually a Mark IV and a halfback in the same auction for that matter...

I had two Mark IVs and now own an RKII. The Mark IV is a great amp and I'm sure to get another one to have along with the RKII. The only thing I don't like on the Mark IV was R2. A useless channel IMO.

Latest posts

Back