Mark IV vs Rectifier...?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon8822

Reaction score
What are some of the major differences between these amps tonewise? thanks

just think lamb of god vs. ...just about anybody. the iv is tight and mid focused. the rec is loose and scooped

Can I have a couple of common bands that use the rect, so I can give them a listen?

Let's see here. I tried a Dual Rec at my friends house on a 4x12 with 75 Celestions. I have a Mark IV with 2x12 30's.

Mark IV: Super tight, focused sound. Nothing can beat playing leads on a Mark IV. Extremely versatile.

Dual Rec: More of a loose sound. Great rhythm sounds but not much versatility. Leads are bleh.

Just my opinion. Sounds really biased but it's just the truth haha.

recs always sound good when i hear them on a cd but im never satisfied when i play them...just me though

It will depend on what kind of music you like to play.

Each Amp has different set ups and they have their own sounds, but
let me tell you something, the Mark IV can be adjusted to sound like a Dual Rec, but the dual Rec cannot be adjusted to sound like a Mark IV,
simple as that.
I would not compare the MIV and Rec Boogies.
Overall the Mark IV is a better amp.

Mark IV: Fendery clean channel. Creamy, liquidy smooth lead channel that doubles as a very tight, aggressive sound. Great for stuff like Metallica, Lamb of God, Dream Theater, Carlos Santana, and Chevelle.

Dual Rectifier: Average clean channel. The older ones have horrid cleans, the newer Road Kings have great cleans. The lead channel is not meant for smooth solos. It's meant for all out aggressive, chest pumping ferocity. The sound is scooped by nature, has lots of bass, and feels like a brick wall hitting you when you tune it right. Famous bands include Creed, Linkin Park, Incubus, Godsmack, etc. Can also do some Metallica and the like, but it's not the amp's forte. Some dudes throw an overdrive pedal in front to get it tighter.

I have both and I can tell you, yes you can get close with a Mark IV to a recto, but still not there. But close enough that it is good for a backup to a recto if you want both and want to have a backup.

MesaManBoogie said:
It will depend on what kind of music you like to play.

Each Amp has different set ups and they have their own sounds, but
let me tell you something, the Mark IV can be adjusted to sound like a Dual Rec, but the dual Rec cannot be adjusted to sound like a Mark IV,
simple as that.
I would not compare the MIV and Rec Boogies.
Overall the Mark IV is a better amp.

No offence to you but i laugh everytime i see someone post that a recto cant do metallica, OK cant do there recorded tone, but Kurt's main rytham amp for the longest time was a 2 channel rack mounted recto. Now i know that has changed since he switched to randalls, or maybe it hasnt....never truly know.

Elpelotero said:
. Can also do some Metallica and the like, but it's not the amp's forte. Some dudes throw an overdrive pedal in front to get it tighter.

I play a Mark IV and our other guitarist plays a Dual Recto.

I find that they sound VERY similar in a lot of ways, yet VERY different.

These guys know what they are talking about in the above posts.

Maybe Im just not fully used to having two Boogies ripping at practice/shows, compared to his old amp. Both are great amps. the IV is MUCH more versatile.

siggy14 said:
No offence to you but i laugh everytime i see someone post that a recto cant do metallica, OK cant do there recorded tone, but Kurt's main rytham amp for the longest time was a 2 channel rack mounted recto. Now i know that has changed since he switched to randalls, or maybe it hasnt....never truly know.

Elpelotero said:
. Can also do some Metallica and the like, but it's not the amp's forte. Some dudes throw an overdrive pedal in front to get it tighter.

It can do Metallica, but don't expect it to sound like puppets, justice, or black album.

Yeah, I'm sure you could definately get close to a Load/Reload kind of tone on a Dual Rec.

Like i said not the recorded tone, but live for years he has been using a rackmount.

Then again I dont know many people that can get there recorded tone when playing live and yes I could probaly nail early metallica in the studio with a recto, the magic of the EQ and effects!

Elpelotero said:
siggy14 said:

Elpelotero said:

It can do Metallica, but don't expect it to sound like puppets, justice, or black album.

I always laugh when I see these threads. There's always either so much misinformation or such a bias towards one amp when people post. Like this comment for example:

Mark IV: Super tight, focused sound. Nothing can beat playing leads on a Mark IV. Extremely versatile.

Dual Rec: More of a loose sound. Great rhythm sounds but not much versatility. Leads are bleh.

Someone could just as easily say:

Dual Rec: Massive bottom end, very modern sound. Nothing beats crunching away on a Dual Rec for that sound you hear on every other rock record these days. THE modern, go to rock amp for nearly 20 years.

Mark IV: Less bottom end and balls than the Recto. Great lead sound, but very outdated and middy. Modern tone is bleh.

Point being, you can twist and turn a play on words to support any amp you want. Now with that being said, on to the topic.

You can most certainly get great lead tones, fluid and smooth out of a Recto. Nevermore is a great example. Need another one? John Petrucci. Petrucci has even said that he tended to use the Recto or Mark IV on leads for the old albums (instead of his IIC+), and admitted he went to the Recto most of the time.

As for Rectos not doing Metallica, I'm going to have to disagree. Like siggy mentioned, the Recto has been Kirk Hammett's main crunch sound live for about 12 years, as well as some of his leads. James Hetfield for a good 10-12 years has used a dual Triaxis setup simultaneously for his main crunch sound, one in IIC+ mode and the other in what? The Recto mode.

A Recto can definitely do the Load/Reload tones, and it surely does the Garage Inc tones considering they used their live racks mostly on the album anyway. It can without question do St Anger (whether you like the album or not), and it could do the newer Death Magnetic tones.

So let's take a look, Metallica up until '86 was all Marshall. They had the Marks for their primary sound for about 7 years until '93 - '94 or so, and then for about 14 years now, the Recto has played a huge role, especially in their live rigs. So tell me, how can someone say the Recto's can't do the "Metallica sound" when by all accounts, the Recto has been integral to their overall sound for nearly twice as long? You may like an album like "Master of Puppets" more than "Load," but Metallica has been around for a lot longer than the handful the Marks were their primary sound.

So if you guys had 3,000 dollars to spare and were going to play some Metallica, you'd choose a 3 channel Recto over a Mark2C+ or MarkIV?

I know I wouldn't.

nevermore uses more amps than you can shake a stick at so i wouldnt go as far as to say they are anywhere near representative of recs. from my experience, regular dual recs suck, mark ivs and roadsters rock...personally i prefer the mark but its real close and id even like to trade just to get more of a feel for roadsters. and imo the best metallica was from the mark eras but dont listen to us, its easy to spin words so go hear for yourself. you cant fake tone

fatoni said:
nevermore uses more amps than you can shake a stick at so i wouldnt go as far as to say they are anywhere near representative of recs. from my experience, regular dual recs suck, mark ivs and roadsters rock...personally i prefer the mark but its real close and id even like to trade just to get more of a feel for roadsters. and imo the best metallica was from the mark eras but dont listen to us, its easy to spin words so go hear for yourself. you cant fake tone

How can you say Nevermore isn't representative of a Recto tone? The tone on Dead Heart in a Dead World and Enemies of Reality are 100% Recto, and This Godless Endeavor was 50% Recto. I don't know how you can say it's not representative when there's not another amp on those albums.

Regarding Metallica, I personally think the tone from MOP and AJFA is very thin and brittle compared to Load.

Elpelotero said:
So if you guys had 3,000 dollars to spare and were going to play some Metallica, you'd choose a 3 channel Recto over a Mark2C+ or MarkIV?

I know I wouldn't.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything or why you chose a 3 Channel Recto instead of a Road King, Roadster, etc...considering you mentioned the $3k range. The term "Recto" means a lot more than "3 Channel Dual Rectifier."

The whole point of the above was to say that you can't stereotype Mark's as the "Metallica" sound when the band has many years of history and the Recto has played just as big of a part of that sound as the Marks, especially in their live rigs for well over a decade.

Latest posts

Back