Mark IV vs Nomad

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaivxx

Reaction score
I currently own a Mark IV. I have owend about 5 of them over the years, they were always my "goto amp". I have owned so many other amps, including many Boogies, ranging from Triaxis and Simul 2:90 to Mark III, V Twin, etc...

I am looking at a beautiful Nomad 45 in Hardwood. Looks pristine. I play in a blues band, well, blues rock, stuff like Allman Bros, SRV, Hendrix, ZZ Top (pre MTV of course), Trower, Clapton, etc....

I also play fusion with a trio. By fusion I mean anything from Pat Metheney type stuff with my VG8 to smooth Jazz to King Crimson sounding stuff.

On top of that, I like to be ready to play metal, such as Dream Theater. I have played prog metal most of my life, the blues thing is new to me and the jazz thing has always been a personal interest, not really my full time focus.

I mention all of this because I really want this Nomad 45 4x10 combo, but cannot decide if it is worth selling my Mark IV 1x12 EV combo to get. I love the Mark IV, but the weight is something very annoying. I have plans to break it up into a head and some cabs, but if I bought the Nomad, i would not have to mess with all of that.

i am one of those guys that no matter what gear I play, I retain some sonic signature, be it a Mesa, Marshall, Carvin or Pod. I am sure even at 45 watts the Nomad will be loud enough, it is also much newer than my type A Mark IV. I do not use the graphic on the Mark IV, except when running direct through a DI box, but for live performances I level all the sliders and notch them up a bit for a boost, incase my other guitarist starts getting obnoxious with his Fender Twin.

So, what can any Nomad/Mark IV owners tell me avout their experiences with these amps? I am not someone that typically cranks the gain, even when playing drop tuned metal, I prefer a nice articulation and a very smooth lead sound. For rhythm i like a good percussiveness, but not a Recto type buzz saw sound.

Can the Nomad do Mark IV smooth? Can the Nomad do Fender type chimey cleans? Can the Nomad deliver a big, full clean sound? What about the rhythm?

Lastly, what years were the Nomads in production? i have done a little reading here and I see references to the older ones having some issues with sub standard pots and what not. I am looking at an 2001 model. The hardwood is beautiful, it is loaded with 4 Jensen 10's. If I keep my Mark IV, I am adding a 2x12 to it. I seems 4x10s would have a fuller, tighter sound, that is if the amp driving them is up to spec.

Anyhow, any opinions and anectdodal info really appreciated. I just sold a Strat today and that gives me some cash, could rough it on my next check and get the Nomad without selling the Mark IV first, but this is a really bad time of year to be tying up cash like that.

On a side note, I alos have a Carvin Nomad 1x12 combo. I have to say, while it is not a Mesa, it is quite a nice little Blues amp. With a Route 66 comp/OD in front I can yank all kind of sounds out of it. But, out of sheer laziness i have been plugging straight into it the last few practices, and have been quite impressed with it. It has opened my eyes to the possibility that an EL84 based amp can actually sound really good. I use just the OD channel on it and roll back my volume sometimes, like last night, when I left the channel switch at home by accident.

Anyhow, any info helpful....

never mind, I dont know what came over me, I am just going to keep the Mark IV. I am an idot, no matter what gear I own, i am always shopping for something else. I let the pretty wood on this amp and the irritating weight of the mark IV sway me for a bit, but it is all clear now....

I hear ya, I'm the same. I have the mkIV to and it's great but I'm still always looking at amps. I think the 4x10 nomad would be just as heavy if not heavier then the MKIV. You know once you sell the MKIV you'll miss it. MKIV is hard to beat IMHO.

jamme61 said:
I hear ya, I'm the same. I have the mkIV to and it's great but I'm still always looking at amps. I think the 4x10 nomad would be just as heavy if not heavier then the MKIV. You know once you sell the MKIV you'll miss it. MKIV is hard to beat IMHO.

+1 on the weight of the Nomad 4x10

I just sold my Mark IV and know exactly the feeling. I just know that some day I will re-purchase one.

I have a Nomad 55 4x10. I have had a Mark IV 1x12 (C90) for a short time. I can say, these are both heavy amps! The Mark IV had removable casters, my Nomad does not. So the Mark IV could be rolled around on its own. I put the Nomad on a 4 wheel dolly to move it.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could have both? The Mark IV with the 6L6's, and the Nomad 45 with the EL84s, you would have amps that don't necessarily cover the same sonic range, which can be a good thing.

And, don't worry, the Nomad 45 is plenty loud.

-Gary K

Ahh, to have both.... I have read some of your sigs, some have really nice collections. I once did myself, and it was great, a rig for a mood, or a rig for any gig....

Nowadays, with the current state of my financial affairs, i would not dare keep both even if I could afford to, would just feel guilty for keeping two very expensive amps.

I bet the Nomad 55 is a better sounding amp then the EL84 Nomad 45. Although, my Carvin with EL84s always surprises me with how articualte it can be. Also, tonight I was really pounding out some chords on its clean chanel, trying to feel the big bottom like 6L6 amps naturally have. It was not too shabby. Made me again start tossing the coin "sell the Mark IV and get the Nomad? Sell the Carvin and take my strat cash and the procededs from the Carvin and get he nomad? Stick with what I have?" I hate when ger occupies more of my time thinking than music does...

I wouldn't say the 55 Nomad sounds better than the 45, maybe only different.

If you don't crank them loud enough to hear the power section (distortion), then they should actually sound similar since the pre-amp sections are the same.

-Gary K

Back