Mark IV vs. Formula?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitor gracie

Reaction score
Hi all. I am a long time Mesa lover. I currently use a "first run" Trem O Verb (attached power cable and funky pointer knobs) with a recto 2X12. (I bought it new back in the day...) I also recently sold my old two channel Dual Rec half stack. (Got a wonderful Carvin legacy Half Stack and extra cash!)

I have owned an old Boogie studio pre with a 50/50 and am looking for a rack unit with a similar tone but more flexibility. I have had my share of the crushing Recto tone. The only Boogie that I have not owned is a Mark IV. I have used them but never purchased one. I would love it if I could get that lead sound in a preamp.

And now my question...I have to put together a very light weight rack to take on a plane as a carry on. I was thinking a formula pre, 20/20 and a Lexicon fx unit.

What is the formula clean/rhythm/lead most similar to in tone? Mark IV? Studio pre? DC series?

Mesa reps say the formula was closer to a Nomad...he said that that was a bad thing...as if Nomads are not that good sounding. I know the web site makes refrences to the Heart Breaker..but the rep discounts this..

...I am not to keen on the idea of a Triaxsis. I make too many adjustments on the fly. I need KNOBS!!! I am not afraid of MIDI...just dont like buttons for some reason...

Lastly, I am in love with the "Blues" mode on my T O Verb. I use two PRS guitars for low tunings and a Vaccaro Gen X as well as a Music Man Petrucci for standard tuning.

Thanks for the knowledge...

If you want the Mark IV in a preamp why not try the Quad?

I have a formula-pre that i did the andrew mod to and i really like it much better now. I have a mkIII with the IIC+ mod that i compare it to, definitely sounds different. The f-pre clean is brighter, crisper, the mkIII clean is warmer, thicker. The distortion modes on the f-pre are not as focused as the mkIII's. The mkIII sounds more "open". The f-pre sounds more "compressed". I'm using the tung-sol 12ax7 reissues in v1, in both and a mix of the same, plus jj and mesa 12ax7's in the rest of the positions. Ymmv. Good luck! :D

I used a Quad over the weekend recently. It was in good shape and the reverb had just been replaced....

Let me just say it took me about three hours to find a usable sound from it...HOLY SMOKES!!! The tones where good but way more MkIII sounding and a little flubby for me. Also, the 4U of the quad would be larger then a f-pre, 20/20 and fx unit...not airline freindly at all.

I considered the V-Twin pre (rack mounted one) but again the Mesa rep said it wasn't too hot. I owned the pedal version for a year and didn't think it was THAT bad, but the dirty was very "un-articulate."

Mark III cleans are the holy grail for me. That and my T-O-Verb. So if the f-pre is even in the same ball park as that, I think I can live with it.

That helped a lot. Thanks! :D

Back