Mark IV using the combo as a head..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temps

Reaction score
I'm pickin up a Mark IV right away but this place has got a couple of the combos for a good price. Can you use the combo just as a head? By totally disconnecting the combo speaker and then just using the amp to run my recto cab...? I would still use the built in speaker for rehearsals so I don't have to haul my cab around anymore.
My other Q is, does the combo have all the same output options and everything as the head? I only ever see people using those weird little Theile things with them.

Combo or head the chassis remains the same with the same functions. If you disconnect the combo speaker you can treat the combo as a head. The neat thing about the combo is that you can use the combo speaker and an extenssion cabinet. This allows for spread on a smaller scale or allows you to have different tonal characteristics working together. Heck with the short chassis you could even rack it if you wanted. I personally own both styles of head cabinet (older tolex and newer tolex), a rackmount and a combo cabinet for my short chassis.

I used to sit my Mark IIC combo on a 4x12 cab for years, and have done the same with my Mark IV. This works great. It brings the combo's speakers up to ear level instead of shooting sound at your legs, and also gives you some good tone variation - I mic both the combo's open back EVM speaker and one of the Celestion Black Shadows in the closed back cab.

Plus, like you said, you can chose to bring just the combo to rehearsals and smaller gigs - it's heavy, but very portable.

Russ said:
Combo or head the chassis remains the same with the same functions. If you disconnect the combo speaker you can treat the combo as a head. The neat thing about the combo is that you can use the combo speaker and an extenssion cabinet. This allows for spread on a smaller scale or allows you to have different tonal characteristics working together. Heck with the short chassis you could even rack it if you wanted. I personally own both styles of head cabinet (older tolex and newer tolex), a rackmount and a combo cabinet for my short chassis.

Where can you buy Mark IV head cabinets seperate? Do you just have to wait for one to pop up on the bay?

If you look on e-bay, once in a while they show up. Or you can get a new one from Mesa. Don't forget other listings such as CraigsList and Recycler. You might be able to order one from an amp cabinet builder or restorer also. I bought my head as the older style and the guy included the rackmount. I liked the newer style head cabinet so I bought one on e-bay. Then I wanted the combo cabinet and bought that too on ebay.

Don't bother with the chassis... I using my combo as a head all the time. Granted it's quite a bit heavier (albeit not so bad with casters), but it makes a very versatile rig: built-in 1x12 for small gigs, 2x12 cab for more oomph, and a 4x12 for killing small animals. :)

You could also try using both the cab speaker and a separate cab at the same time through the 2 4 Ohm outs, to give you even more choices.

I am dragging my combo around too right now until I decide exactly where the chassis is going to reside. I am all setup though with head cabinet and rackmount awaiting use.

Back