Mark IV Tube Help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeldragonjovi

Reaction score
I am having some issues identifying what tube or tubes may be causing troubles in my Mark IV short combo. Every time I turn it on, it has a constant hum on every channel, full or tweed power, and simul class or class a, plus occasionally it will crack and pop. It also pops when I turn it to standby. I watched Mesa's tube troubleshooting video and even called them, but I'm still having trouble trying to identify what's going on.

Right now I am trying to go through each of the power tubes. I put one in the first socket, turn it on, let it warm up, then flip the standby switch on and off. The video said look for flashing, arcing, or fuse blowing, but the only thing that's going on when I turn it on is every tube has a white light inside of it. I don't know if that's supposed to be like that or not, because again, every tube has it.

As for preamp tubes, I replaced the v1 with a new one, because I suspected it was the reason because the hum was on every channel. It didn't work. I moved all the others around and the sound still comes through. Is there anything else to try other than having to just buy a bunch of tubes?

Does it hum when its in simul-class AND pentode mode? try with it in either class A and/or triode mode

What kind of tubes are you using?

I have a similar issue with my mark iv

Yeah. It's on all modes. I ordered new Mesa 6L6 tubes. Customer Service from Boogie said that's they suspect.

steeldragonjovi said:
Yeah. It's on all modes. I ordered new Mesa 6L6 tubes. Customer Service from Boogie said that's they suspect.
Yeah, that seems to be the standard answer. At least the get to sell some tubes.

Give us a little history. How long have you owned the amp? Did this begin happening at all once or over time? Does it occur out of your house also? Etc..

I have personally owned this amp since July of last year. It's a '93 combo though. The problem was a progressive one. It started to get more and more noticeable and eventually worse. I have not tried it out of the house, but it sounds the same in other outlets.

My new tubes are set to deliver today! I will repost if they solve this problem.

my mark III had this problem when i had it, power supply filter caps was the cause, i tried the power tube changes but didnt help. you might wanna consider changing the filter caps. after all its a 20+ year old amp

If the new tubes don't help out, I'll try that. Thanks for the tips. PS, you may want to work on your math skills...

It never fails to amaze me that an amp designed around vacuum tubes is so easily fixed by.... wait for it.... replacing the vacuum tubes! :lol:

I don't think the tech support guys at Mesa recommend replacing the power tubes by accident. The know that this fixes most problems most of the time.

Back