Mark IV tube change

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deny

Reaction score
Ok, the UPS guy just brought me my Mark IV here at work and I'm itching to get home a put the tubes in....I've got a new set of preamp tubes waiting for it. My previous amp, a Maverick 2x12, was pretty wide open and easy to change the preamp tubes in. This is a short combo, so my question: is it safe to say I'll be needing to take the amp out of the cab to put new preamp tubes in?

Trust me, i just went through this, take the amp out will make your life so much easier, actualy you might not even be able to get power tubes in.

If you removing the amp from the chasis, here is a little tip, the fan plug will stop the amp from coming out, so unplug it first, it is right behind one of the moutning areads for the footswitch.

deny said:
Ok, the UPS guy just brought me my Mark IV here at work and I'm itching to get home a put the tubes in....I've got a new set of preamp tubes waiting for it. My previous amp, a Maverick 2x12, was pretty wide open and easy to change the preamp tubes in. This is a short combo, so my question: is it safe to say I'll be needing to take the amp out of the cab to put new preamp tubes in?

Thanks for the advice. I assumed I would have to take it out since it is such tight quarters in there. I've never had to take an amp out of a cab yet, and I haven't even got a really good look at where the screws are. Any other advice on where to start? I know it will end up being pretty easy, I just like to know more of what to expect before I jump in.

Can't help you on the combo version, but the short head version is super easy coz the grill is just velcroed in and it pops out in 2 seconds... Sorry, I couldn't resist... :) I'm sure others will be more helpful...

Yup, you'll want to take it out. And ditto about unplugging the fan.

Side note: The component and tube tube location of my MKIVb was not the same as the diagram that's in the manual. Having the shielding around the V1 helped clear that up a bit. I may not have known which was V1 or V4 otherwise.

The power tubes were easy to replace on my Mark IV short head, didnt need to take anything out. However the preamp tubes i'll have to pull the front off. Not sure about the combo though

Latest posts

Back