Mark IV tone secret

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boola

Reaction score
Well I'll let others be the judge of exactly how much a secret or even useful this post is but anyway..... :)

I've found that when using the graphic eq, I get a much clearer and sweeter tone when I keep the sliders at a level so that the combined value of them is no more than all of them in the middle.

So if you were to say that when at the bottom the sliders have a value of 0, in the middle 5 and when at the top 10, you should make sure that when you add the values of the sliders, they come to no more than 25.

I find that above '25', something sounds like it's getting overloaded (possibly the phase inverter???) and the sound starts to muddy up. Below 25 it is much clearer and nicer.

I know that the sliders probably aren't linear and each has an effect on the other etc etc but I at least in my amp with my valves, this holds more or less true and sticking to it is the way to a better tone.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yes, although a decrease in volume is ok.

on my nomad i usually boost the two not-quite-outside-or-inside sliders up just a bit more (3/4 between 0 and full approx) so the volume doesnt drop off as much when engaging the EQ

As a rule with graphic EQ's in general the less you use the better it will sound, and you usually will be better off by raising the volume slightly and keeping the sliders at or below the center line rather then above, this preserves the amps headroom. As you can imagine I'm NOT a fan of the infamous (and IMO silly) V setting that so many use on their Boogies.

t0aj15 said:
As a rule with graphic EQ's in general the less you use the better it will sound, and you usually will be better off by raising the volume slightly and keeping the sliders at or below the center line rather then above, this preserves the amps headroom. As you can imagine I'm NOT a fan of the infamous (and IMO silly) V setting that so many use on their Boogies.
That's fightin' talk :lol:

I haven't really paid attention to this. I use my EQ for a boost for leads. I will check it out that and see if the same happens to me. Thanks for the heads up!

t0aj15 said:
I completely agree for the most part for most things audio, except for the boogie. I also disagree with the manual, that the eq is supposed to be there as an afterthought, an unnecessary tool. Without the eq, or with it disabled, it really is insanely midsy. But I don't see this as a bad thing at all. Just the opposite, I see it as a necessary evil; the only way to get the trebley crunch to end up as the wall shaking thump.
I tried going flat and slightly boosting/cutting, but went back to the V, with the exception that the middle 750 scoop slider never goes below between the two lower white lines. With hearing hangover and day to day changes in hearing perception, it took direct amp comparisons to steer me right.
I had a VHT CL100 that had the slider eq, and that one I could use with very little alteration. The biggest difference was spawned from that pre-distortion eq on the boogie, which totally put it in a different category, in sound and useage.
On the under 25 thing, I failed. :lol:
8+5-6+3+5-6+7=28-30

Back