Mark IV Tone Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_fender

Reaction score
Greetings all,

New member here. I had a couple of questions about the Mark IV. I currently have a Rectoverb series II combo, which is a very nice and versitile amp, but I have grown away from its more modern sound. I ended up liking the clean channel more than the gain channel, but that kills the versitility of this amp. I've been told that the Mark IV is the king of the "Vintage" Boogies in terms of versatility and tone. I've heard many clips of some really awesome heavy and lead tones from the Mark IV, but my concern is, how does the Mark IV perform for clean and semi-cleans sounds? Before the Rectoverb, I had a Triaxis - 2:90 rig and I fell in love with the Lead 2 modes, which I believe were all supposed to be modelled on the Mark IIc+ and Mark IV but have never played through these amps to compare. How does the Mark IV do at a SRV or Hendrix type tone. I have a Strat and a Les Paul, and I play a lot of classic rock, blues, some country, and like to jam some old school metal like old Metallica and old Van Halen. I'm not a gain maniac. I like a heavy sound, but I prefer a smoother tighter more defined tone rather than a washed-out, fizzy, overly distorted tone. Also, how is the reverb on the Mark IV's. Reverb is a bit weak on the rectoverb I feel. Let me know how the Mark IV will fare with these. Here's a rundown of the types of tones I'm shooting for:

Wicked Game - Chris Issac (super sweet clean tone and reverb)
Little Wing - Hendrix (bright snappy marshall type clean)
Little Wing - SRV (bright clean with an edge - who doesn't love this tone!)
Pride and Joy - SRV (Fender style drive with good definition and bite)
AC/DC rhythm and lead tones - (ballsy Marshall style overdrive)
Panama - Van Halen ("brown" sound with great harmonics)
Dream Theater rhythm and lead sounds (I know the Mark IV nails these)
Metallica ala Master of Puppets (scooped) and Black album (fuller).
Crying - Joe Satriani (vocal lead tone with good sustain)
...and so on ...and so on

Sorry about the book here, but I'd appreciate any input Mark IV owners could give. It seems like a good match for my style, but until I get a chance to play one, I have to trust what I can find online.

Thanks a million

Also, If anyone has any good Mark IV clips that show off these types of tones, that would be wicked.

Oh, I forgot one more...

GNR/Velvet Revolver/Slash type tones.

Since I like Marshall tones, I did give a Stiletto Ace a whirl the other day, but I found it to be a bit harsh and "modern" sounding, much like my rectoverb. To my ears it sounded very much like my recto with a different EQ curve. I'm hoping the Mark IV will be a bit smoother and tighter. Granted I didn't have a lot of time to tweak the Stiletto, so I'm not rulling it out just yet.

The markIV will get you in the neghborhood for a lot of those tones but not all at the same time. It lacks the "Marshally" sound although if you stick EL34's in the outer sockets you can get close with the R2 channel.

I play in a cover band and we do everything from Elvis to petty to grand funk to Ozzy to Velvet revolver and the MKIV performs very well.

Scott

I have a mark IVA and I find it nails almost all those tones, but you have to understand it takes a REAL long time to understand how the amp works and how to achieve the tone you want so spend as much time in the store as you can with it.

Nick_cor said:
I have a mark IVA and I find it nails almost all those tones, but you have to understand it takes a REAL long time to understand how the amp works and how to achieve the tone you want so spend as much time in the store as you can with it.

+1 on the above, I read down the list and it was - yep, yep, mmm..yep, yep, etc etc etc!!! :D

mr_fender judging from your post the Mark IV (IMO) would be perfect for you. You must understand though that it takes awile to fully appreciate and understand what this amp can do. Your not going to dial in the sound you want in a few minutes like most amps. Not that it's difficult, it's just so versatile, and capable of creating a lot more tones then most amps. I'm still finding great new sounds more then six years after I bought mine.

I think you should goto the amp setting database and copy alot of the settings that appeal to you, goto the store and try them all out, and go there knowing that these settings are not the real representation of the artists tone and also know that it's probably about 2% of what the mark IV can really do.

I've had a Mark IV combo for about 12 years. 6 years ago I bought a 4 12" cabinet with vintage 25W celestial speakers and the botom end of the amp really opened up. No surprise really, but a lot of the tone of the amp depends on open back or closed back speaker rigs. I love what I have now, and the clean tone is good, although I use a pair of Fender Deluxe Reverbs in stereo for the clean stuff. The Mk IV takes some tweaking, but the manual does have some good starter settings.
On a related point - I blow fuses with the Mk IV, including one yesterday when the amp was on standby. Although it is meant to run at 4 Ohms, I'm thinking of using an 8 Ohm config. I think it will take some of the load off and possibly stop the fuse problem. Blowing fuses during live performances is a real drag.

PRS
American Strat
Ovation (the Dimeola model)

ps Al, if you're out there, can I shine your shoes?

Regarding tone from the Mark IV, someone asked for clips as examples. I have a CD out that I used a Mk IV with a PRS and strat. Go to http://cdbaby.com/cd/garisonconspiracy. It has a variety of tones from this amp. 8)

welshboogie said:
Nick_cor said:

+1 on the above, I read down the list and it was - yep, yep, mmm..yep, yep, etc etc etc!!! :D

Same!
I have had a few Boogies through the years the Mark IV is my pride and joy
But not you would call a "plug and play" amp you have to work with it get use to it.

Wicked Game - Chris Issac (super sweet clean tone and reverb) - close
Little Wing - Hendrix (bright snappy marshall type clean) - close
Little Wing - SRV (bright clean with an edge - who doesn't love this tone!) - close
Pride and Joy - SRV (Fender style drive with good definition and bite) -pretty good.
AC/DC rhythm and lead tones - (ballsy Marshall style overdrive) - hardest one of the list, but with ts 9 it will definately be possible.
Panama - Van Halen ("brown" sound with great harmonics) - pretty good
Dream Theater rhythm and lead sounds (I know the Mark IV nails these) - As you already said, it nails this tone.
Metallica ala Master of Puppets (scooped) and Black album (fuller). - Nails these tones too, the easiest of your list for the MK IV.
Crying - Joe Satriani (vocal lead tone with good sustain) - Probably pretty good.

Well you guys have gone and done it. You, and several other people I've talked to, have convinced me to get a Mark IV. I'm gonna just have to take the plunge and buy one. If I don't like it (which I doubt seriously will happen) I can always sell it off again. I'll probably hold onto my rectoverb combo until I'm sure the Mark IV will take its place. Now the fun part... hunting for one to buy. I'm most likely gonna get a used head and a new avatar 2x12 cab, unless I can find a good deal on a used Boogie 2x12. I like the recto vertical 2x12 for better spread, but it's like 75lbs.

Just be careful when you get it, to take some time with it. It has taken me about 4 months to get comfortable with my MKIV. There was a time when i was worried I made a big mistake, but now I'm really happy. It takes time, I read that, but I didn't believe it, not me, I thought, I was wrong.

I agree with jamme that it takes a while to dial it in because of all the possibilities. I've had my Mark IV A short head for about two months now and I'm having the most fun I've ever had working with an amp. I'm in a classic rock and R&B band and I'm finding the tones I need. I only wish I had purchased one years ago.

I also agree with mr. fender that the recto 2x12 is a heavy cab to lug around at the end of the night. I tried one out and liked the sound but not enough to have to carry the cab around. Right now I'm playing with a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab which has a decent sound and is easy on the back. I had an open back Line 6 2x12 cab which just wasn't cutting it. I'm looking for some 1x12 thiele cabs.

Michel

Does your 1936 cab have the stock G12T75's in it? If so how do they sound with the Mark IV? I've seen a few of these used and they look like pretty nice cabs. Someone suggested avatar cabs to me too. The G212 Vintage cabs look pretty sweet. A lot like the Marshall 1936. The prices on the avatars are awesome and I've heard nothing but good reviews on them. Having a choice of speakers in them is a nice plus too.

mr_fender said:
Does your 1936 cab have the stock G12T75's in it? If so how do they sound with the Mark IV? I've seen a few of these used and they look like pretty nice cabs. Someone suggested avatar cabs to me too. The G212 Vintage cabs look pretty sweet. A lot like the Marshall 1936. The prices on the avatars are awesome and I've heard nothing but good reviews on them. Having a choice of speakers in them is a nice plus too.

Hello Jamme61 (oops I meant mr-fender)

My 2x12 1936 Marshall cab has the stock G12T-75 speakers. I bought it used in excellent condition for about half price. I'm quite satisfied with the sound I'm getting using a PRS custom 24 into the Mark IV A and the 1936 cab (but I'm still curious about the 1x12 thieles). I'm also using a Line 6 Vetta head and the FBV pedalboard in the loop for some minimal effects when required. I haven't detected any noticeable degradation in the tone using the vetta head. There's a bypass model in the vetta that cuts out its preamp portion so you're only getting the effects. That does the trick for me at this time. All great fun!

Michel

Back