Mark IV /thiele cab question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normandk7

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm running a thiele cab (electrovoice) with my mark IV (electrovoice too) and i've got the best of it when i plug the cab in the 8 ohm and the combo speaker in the first 4 ohm output.
Is it ok. I know that i'm suppose to plug both my cab and my combo speaker in the 4 ohm outputs but the balance of the sound is really better when i plug it as i write in the beginning of the message.
So...is it dangerous to blow my transformer...or to do some other damage to the amplifier ????
Thanks guys

If both speakers are the same impedance then I think the ohms that the amp sees will drop lower than 4, and that's usually not safe on these amps.

If one speaker is an 8 and plugged into the 4 jack, and the other speaker is a 16 plugged into the 8 ... you are safe.

Yes, you'll fry your OT sooner or later.

EDIT: OK I may be wrong about the above. Check out these threads:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=17050
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=25889&highlight=cab%2A+different

Too bad because the thiele is on the floor and the sound is louder when i plug it in the 8 ohm jack....
But, i will take no chance and continue to plug my cab and combo speakeer in the 4 ohm jacks.
Thanks for the replys

Sorry,
Do you mean that it's ok to do so???
No problem with my transfo???
Should i call mesa to be sure???

General rules:

It's OK to mismatch by having a speaker with higher impedance than the amp is expecting, although it won't sound as good.

Only the 4 Ohm jacks are in parallel, as far as I understand. The 8 Ohm runs alone. So the amp is seeing 4 Ohms into 8 Ohms and 8 Ohms into 8 Ohms.

In short, it should be fine.

I just send a email to Kris Dilbeck at mesa to be sure.
I will let you know as soon as i've got the answer

normandk7 said:
Should i call mesa to be sure???
Yes, best if you call them. We're only guessing here, since your case is pretty unique. Do let us know their answer.

Here is the answer from Mesa Boogie:

Greetings,

We do not recommend running your amp in this fashion as it is rather wearing on the tubes and more concerning would be the transformer.

Thanks

Kris

So, It's not a good idea....too bad for me!!!!!

Latest posts

Back