Mark IV SUCKS!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GIG4FUN said:
Could it be said then that the Mark IV is sitting at non-optimal settings with tubes that are not bought from Mesa? Is that the rub? BUT they sound/react as meant to be by design if the proper replacement tubes are used?
You can buy tubes from other brands within mesa spec, which should pose no problem. It is 'optimal' in the sense that that's how they're designed, but some people think it could sound better. With the adjustable bias you get more flexibility in using whatever tubes you want.

gibson5413 said:
Here are all of the Mark IV clips I have recorded in the past year http://www.netmusicians.org/?value=gibson5413&section=user . Even with looming rumors of a Mark V I have no intention of selling the Mark IV. Unless it offers a gigantic leap in terms of features and tone over the IV I won't even entertain the idea of purchasing. I'm very happy with what the IV gives me.
Sounds awesome! I agree, the Mark IV sucks, and I'm never selling mine either.

Come on Herbie surely you realize that the vast majority of Mk4 owners are too busy playing through their amps to write posts about how much they love them. Even the people that complain about theirs liked it enough to buy it, and if they haven't actually owned one how valid is their opinion anyway! The Mk4 is a great amp and the evidence is in the sales numbers and it's longevity on the market. The thing is ,you just can't please everybody but, the Mk4 has pleased a lot people over the years.

Xqzdust said:
Come on Herbie surely you realize that the vast majority of Mk4 owners are too busy playing through their amps to write posts about how much they love them. Even the people that complain about theirs liked it enough to buy it, and if they haven't actually owned one how valid is their opinion anyway! The Mk4 is a great amp and the evidence is in the sales numbers and it's longevity on the market. The thing is ,you just can't please everybody but, the Mk4 has pleased a lot people over the years.

Indeed.

This is true.

I'm playing a gig tonight with someone else's amp :(

I like the Mark IV, but i sold off the IV's i owned because my Mark III Blue Stripe beats them all for what i like to hear. The III is more aggressive on the lead channel and R2 on the III blows away the R2 on the IV.

gibson5413 said:
This news to me. I love the Mark IV and it seems to have regained some increased popularity over the past 14 months.

Systematic Chaos :lol:

The only thing that sucks is the people who can't get a good sound of it.

Mark IVs do not always provide instant gratification; it took me about 15 years to really get mine dialed in.

GIG4FUN said:
trem said:
The adjustable bias thing IMO has its merits. The rest of the complaints were due to plain ignorance.

I retube and set the TSL100 at 86 per pair (dcmilvolts) and on occasion have hit it less/more and really don't hear much change because it ..well after all...does have a few knobs....

RE: Mark IV:
I'm not too sure adj. bias has its merit given the plethora of knobs.... LOL
I do not have one. I may when they start getting dumped for the next leatest/greatest by a few like minded as the OP.

Bias your TSL at 25 per pair and you'll have a good comparison.

The Mark IV is such a horrible amp, Mesa discontinued it! :lol:

I'm with danyeo1. I too prefer the III over the IV. There is NOTHING wrong with the IV, awesome amp. The III's just has the tone I hear in my head.

Back