Mark IV Shines in Chicago / Mark IV rack with Mark III blu

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Fore

Reaction score
I played at a user conference in Chicago on Saturday night opening for Chris Isaak. I used a Mark IV with two Traditional Recto straight 4x12’s running a KLON Centaur for a slight clean boost in front of the amp. It sounded insane. Here is a shot from the show as well as a shot of my new Mark III Blue Stripe and a newly put together Mark IV rack. I used my Mark IV combo case to house my Mark III. Sitting on top of a Mesa 1x15 w/ EV the low end is frightening.

ebaylivegala1.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00076-1.jpg

Nice!

Looks like a fair size venue, must of felt good to open up the amp. Drive those speakers and tubes and let the amp sing

Yes, very fair sized venue. There were 7,000 people there and I had the Mark IV just below 3 which was very loud. :D It sounded great and blended in well with the other guitarist playing a Dual Recto.

7000 people :shock: I don't think i've ever played for 700 people, hah.

I like that action shot with the guitar tuning ;)

I would have loved to, but sound guys tend to start getting cranky when the stage volume is that loud. The monitor mix never seems to be able to compensate. Having the master at ~3 was definitely too loud to hear the monitors, but it sounded soooooo good. It made me have to stand directly in front of my cabs in order to hear myself. The other guys had in-ears which solved their problem, but I just don't like in-ears or ear plugs when playing live. The gain had to come down a bit as well.

Zappa put his two cabs on opposite sides of the drum riser (at least in the late-'70s band setup). I imagine it gives you awesome spread.

Both Dave and the other foo fighters guitarist does the same thing, there is one speaker on each side of the drum.

Whoopysnorp said:
Zappa put his two cabs on opposite sides of the drum riser (at least in the late-'70s band setup). I imagine it gives you awesome spread.

For me, I put them side by side for a couple reasons: the sound isn't aimed directly at your own head, and you get more bass/solid tone when the cabs are sitting on the floor. It resonates very well... thick rich and chocolatey.

Back