Mark IV shielding?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuSkoolTone

Reaction score
I notice when I bring my guitar close to the faceplace of my Mark IV short head, I get a loud hum from the guitar. The back of the faceplate is painted black.

My question is this: Is it just black paint, or shielding paint? If not the latter, I have some stew mac shielding paint (For guitar cavities) that I could put on there. Anyone think this would make an improvement? I know I oculd just make sure I don't stand to close to the head, but hey why not if it could make a difference?

Have a look & see whether its earthed or not. If it is, its probably a shield. If not, it isn't - so if you make a shield, make sure you earth it, otherwise it's just an antenna for stray signals.

To be clear, I'm talking about the panel on the MARK IV, not the guitar. ALL my guitars get some hum when I move close to the amp.

All tube amps do that. They pick up the magnetic fields of the transformers and whatever stray waves that might be floating through the air. It's totally normal, just dont get that close with the volume knob on.

Boogiebabies said:
All tube amps do that. They pick up the magnetic fields of the transformers and whatever stray waves that might be floating through the air. It's totally normal, just dont get that close with the volume knob on.

Ok, I figured it was normal. Do we know if that black paint behind the panel is shielding paint, or just black paint?

The entire metal chassis of the amp as well as the metal foil lining the top of the shell is sheilded. Your guitar pickups are picking up the magnetic field of the power transformer at 60Hz. All pickups will do this if you get close enough especially single coils.

Latest posts

Back