Mark IV Rhythm 2 Gain pot Jumps at 3.5 and 6.5. Is this norm

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nlynch1

Reaction score
I just got a Mark IV widebody combo. I love it, but when i adjust the rhythm 2 gain pot it jumps at ~4 and 6.5 (and makes a small popping noise). Instead of increasing consistently over the whole rotation of the knob, it skips at those two spots making it impossible to dial in what I want. I'm wondering if this is normal or if this is something that can be fixed.

Not normal, but easily fixed. Either a bad/broken, or very dirty/slipping pot. This means that the connection point on the inside is not making proper connection at those points and sending the correct voltages. A popping/scratching noise indicates something like dust or dirt is lodged inside the pot keeping it from making the connection. I would suggest try and cleaning it out first, then if that doesn't fix it, then replace the pot.

Thanks. I tried cleaning it with deoxit 5 from the outside after removing the knob. The pot sounds perfectly clean when turned, but it simply has definitive jumps at those two exact locations. It acts as if it were designed to have three distinct subranges within the pot somehow.

Ordered a new pot from Mesa and installed it. Pot works perfectly now. Thanks guys. I really don't know why people complain about rhythm 2. I like it now that it works :D

Nlynch1 said:
Ordered a new pot from Mesa and installed it. Pot works perfectly now. Thanks guys. I really don't know why people complain about rhythm 2. I like it now that it works :D

I don't know why they complain about it either :roll:

glad you got it worked out.

topcat0399 said:
Nlynch1 said:

I don't know why they complain about it either :roll:

glad you got it worked out.
+1 on both counts.

Back