Mark IV Recording out vs mic - Opinions please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark IV Recording out vs Shure 57 in front of cab

• Recording out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mic

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

insearchoftone

Reaction score
Our audio tech is wanting me to switch from using a Shure 57 in front of the cab to direct with the recording out. Is the recording out any good?

Has anyone had any success with the recording output of a Mark IV?

insearchoftone said:
Our audio tech is wanting me to switch from using a Shure 57 in front of the cab to direct with the recording out. Is the recording out any good?

Get another tech :wink:
No seriously, A mic in front of an amp is ALWAYS better than a direct out. (IMHO).

The speaker(s) that you use are a big part of the sound.
Don't let anyone take that away.

Does your tech said why he wants you to use your recording out?

Anyway, I did try using the recording out while in the studio.
To my ears it doesn't sound good.

jezzbro said:
insearchoftone said:

Get another tech :wink:
No seriously, A mic in front of an amp is ALWAYS better than a direct out. (IMHO).

The speaker(s) that you use are a big part of the sound.
Don't let anyone take that away.

Does your tech said why he wants you to use your recording out?

Anyway, I did try using the recording out while in the studio.
To my ears it doesn't sound good.
++++1
You could use a direct line + a mic while tracking and yield some interesting results, but I never cared for the recording out on the Mark IV. There is no cabinet sound with direct and in the case of a Mark IV depending how you run your power section (tube configuration) you lose that completely !
If your tech has some sort of cabinet simulator like a ADA cabinet simulator, that can get some good results but in that case use the preamp out and not the recording out.
Real important!!!! I have seen this allot. If you do some direct recording YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE A SPEAKER CABINET HOOKED UP!! And then just pull silent recording

I would have to say mic it because of speaker dynamics and the power section's flavor.

check this out

http://www.askweaves.com/thejam/mp3/deskman_may.mp3

i had never used the recording output before until i did that
i think its fantastic

i very simply took a lead from the recording out straight into the input of my soundcard, no cabinet simulators, nothing, what you hear is just straight from the mark IV (with the reverb knob turned up full)
i was pretty happy with it

great playing deskman, but i do think the sound you got was not very flattering. sorry. good luck.

~trem

trem said:
great playing deskman, but i do think the sound you got was not very flattering. sorry. good luck.

~trem
I agree, nice playing, but the sound is just what you get when not using a cabinet and a mic.

Tony

I didn't think that sounded too bad at all. I'm guessing that for someone using way more gain and playing a "heavier" style in general, it might get pretty fizzy, though. For those wanting to keep stage volume down, I have 2 suggestions. First, a good speaker emulation device like a Palmer or ADA Microcab is a pretty good compromise and while the Palmers are kind of expensive they sound really, really good. Some lesser devices like the Redbox from H&K or the Behringer direct box with emulation (I forget what the model is) can get you a nice signal and tame the "fizzies" a bit, but the simulation is not as good, especially the Behringer. They are pretty cheap, however, and some folks might appreciate the extra "cut" you get in the mix with these devices. Remeber too that just because there is a mic. in front of a speaker doesn't mean it will sound good - there is a science to stage mic'ing after all. The other approach I have used with great results is to put my combo amp in front of my and use it like a floor monitor - blast away!. This is hard to do with cramped stages and can get a bit hairy being so close to the amp, so it might not work for evey situation. Putting the amp to one side and blasting has worked, too. If you can, the best solution is to keep the mic. and tell your sound tech to get over himself. Z

I use the rec out of both my MkIV and Triaxis when tracking as I have only one live room and it is too small to mic up a drum set and an amp.

I'll overdub with a mic'd cab usually to add a different texture. I find that two tracks that sound different will give a bigger sound anyway wehn panned a bit and mixed well, so why not use the first rec out take?

The rec out sounds better for lower gain sounds and can get a bit fizzy for high gain stuff. However, it is plug and play and you get 90% of the tone for 10% of the effort when recording. Not a bad ratio. The same settings you'd use live are not always the ones that will sound good recorded either. Usually need less gain and less presence.

Erik

I'll take a 57 over the recording out any day. That being said, sometimes I have to use the recording out to accomodate recording while my kid is sleeping.

I usually end up with a mix of direct and mic'd by the end of a tune.

Scott

What do you guys use when recording? I am thinking about buying one of those Boss BR series recorders and a Shure so I can mic up my rig in the jam room, save a track, then take it to the computer and mix. I was just wondering how you guys do it.

Latest posts

Back