Mark IV question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deny

Reaction score
I've got a Mark IVa and on the chassis it has V4 marked as having a 12at7, so that's what I put in there. My question is, would a 12ax7 be fine in V4? I'm still new to this amp, and tubes to an extent. Any help would be appreciated.

Actually the 12at7 needs to stay 12at7 for it to sound right.

Replacing the 12at7 with a 12ax7 adds a bit of gain there that makes it sound odd.

It is safe to run a 12ax7 there but I found that, like I was told by Mesa, it just makes the reverb sound different.

... and yes, I do own a Mark IVa.

Russ said:
Actually the 12at7 needs to stay 12at7 for it to sound right.

Replacing the 12at7 with a 12ax7 adds a bit of gain there that makes it sound odd.

It is safe to run a 12ax7 there but I found that, like I was told by Mesa, it just makes the reverb sound different.

... and yes, I do own a Mark IVa.

yeah i agree,its best to stay with what it came with..

I have Mark IV a. Got it month ago, and it came with all 12AX7 preamp tubes. Reverb sounds fine. I don't really know how would it sound with 12AT7 on V4, but I can say using 12AX7 is no problem at all.

I don't really use the reverb, so I was thinking about moving the 12at7 to V5. Thanks for the answers everyone.

Back