Mark IV playeer in need of some help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lean

Reaction score
I've had this amp for almost 2 weeks. It's about a year old and I got it off of somebody from ebay. Luckily it has a warranty so I know if I have any problems it can be fixed. My question is this: I do realize that tube amps generally are noisy by nature but everytime I play my lead channel I get the worst squealing and low end noise (a hum). I have my master level at 4 and my output level is at 1 to 1.5. I'm playing a les paul through it. Is there anything I can do to stop these horrible sounds? I dont know what to do for live situations let alone recording.

Preamp tube problem.. sounds like one of your tubes has gone microphonic.

That is definitely not a normal operational sound so don't worry about recording/live.. easy fix :)

Cool, do I check out the bad one by tapping on it like power tubes? Also I asked someone a little while back about more distortion for my 2nd channel and it was recommended that I get jj83c's (I think) Do I need to change all of them or just some of them to get the best possble tone, or does it matter?
Thanks for your help by the way, this site is a godsend!

Lean said:
Cool, do I check out the bad one by tapping on it like power tubes? Also I asked someone a little while back about more distortion for my 2nd channel and it was recommended that I get jj83c's (I think) Do I need to change all of them or just some of them to get the best possble tone, or does it matter?
Thanks for your help by the way, this site is a godsend!

If you want some advice from someone who's been down that block, stay away from the JJECC83s... just because they're rated as high gain doesn't mean they'll give you the sound you neccesarily what you want. I think they fizz out, sound really dark (and in a Mark that's already dark that wont be good) and they really sound boxy, like your amp is in a closet or something... anyway that's my opinion on the subject so take it with a grain of salt :)

As far changing out tubes, this is a very subjective area, the same tubes will sound different when you rotate them around.. for example if you have the Mesa tubes in V1-V5 and you put a different brand in V2 for example, that will sound different than putting that same tube in V3, etc. It's all about what sounds the best to you and the only way to play that game is to start buying tubes and playing around.

As far as testing, yes, the tap test works fine, check out the link in my sig or read your manual for more info.

All in all, I'd say since you're new to this amp and there are tons of variables and different settings to try with it, I'd bring it up to its stock condition with mesa tubes and then start changing stuff ONLY when you find there are sonic characterisics you find undesireable or can't dial out. I see so many people rush to change out tubes when they should have been spending time learning how their amps work!

good luck!

Platypus said:
All in all, I'd say since you're new to this amp and there are tons of variables and different settings to try with it, I'd bring it up to its stock condition with mesa tubes and then start changing stuff ONLY when you find there are sonic characterisics you find undesireable or can't dial out. I see so many people rush to change out tubes when they should have been spending time learning how their amps work!
good luck!

Excellent advice! The Mark IV has quite a learning curve...especially if it's your first Mesa.

Hey seajay,,,,I couldnt help but notice on your tag that you own both the head and combo version of the rectoverb. I assume you decided to purchase this amp in both versions because you know it, and like it, and must be able to achieve great sounds from it. Another poster on another thread has asked some questions regarding the ROV so I was hoping you could help the two of us a bit,,,,thanks much

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12916

AND P.S. to the rest of you,,,Im sorry for crashing your thread,,,I wont do so again,,,thanks

recto-robbie said:
Hey seajay,,,,I couldnt help but notice on your tag that you own both the head and combo version of the rectoverb. I assume you decided to purchase this amp in both versions because you know it, and like it, and must be able to achieve great sounds from it. Another poster on another thread has asked some questions regarding the ROV so I was hoping you could help the two of us a bit,,,,thanks much

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12916

AND P.S. to the rest of you,,,Im sorry for crashing your thread,,,I wont do so again,,,thanks

Yeah, I'm a fan of the Rectoverb. :oops:

I bought the combo when I wasn't jamming with anybody. Then I joined a band and the combo is too heavy to carry around...so I bought the head for portability.

I'll probably sell the combo soon.

Anyhow, I'll hit up that other thread. :D

apart from the fact that JJ Do go bad in a shorter time to other.. i still think they are one of the best tubes you can get for tone.. i just carry a extra one with me and i replace V1 every 3-4 months it's not like they are really expenive.. they are alittle more than a pack of strings (I use DR's and i get them for free anyway..)

Back