Mark IV +OD pedal get Rectfier sound + need ISP Decimator?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webstersp

Reaction score
Ok I ordered a mesa mark IV from ebay and should receive it in the next few days.
I like the tight sound of a mark IV but I would also like to be able to get the big wall of sound from the
dual rectifiers. By adding an OD pedal in front of the amp would I be able to get it?
I was thinking about the maxon OD9, because I wans a true bypass.

I don't know if the mark IV is very noisy, but I have read lots of good reviews on the ISP decimator
and with an OD pedal + tuner would I benefit from this pedal

Thanks

I recently tried a ts-9 on my IV as a clean boost. R2 tightened up a bit but the lead channel does not need any boost in my opinion. The lead channel on the Mark IV has the gain and focus of a lesser amp with a heavy boost in front of it already. The sound you are looking for may require an additional eq in the loop. A decimator is always a good idea but this amp is pretty quiet and you should run your tuner into the record out jack.

decimator and mxr ten band eq in the loop, od9 in front of amp = audio orgy (imho). you wont get a rec sound, but you will still be pleased with the ferocity. :twisted:

derekjason said:
decimator and mxr ten band eq in the loop, od9 in front of amp = audio orgy (imho). you wont get a rec sound, but you will still be pleased with the ferocity. :twisted:
Just curious, why do you run a boost on this amp. I've tried a few different ones now and none of then could beat the gain and tightness of the amp by itself to me. Am I missing a boat somewhere?

I don't want to emulate the rectifier sound since I prefer the mark iv anyway but I like the big
wall of sound that the rectifier can give. And if I can add something to my mark IV that
can help me achieve this I'll do it!

As for the DEcimator in the loop, I tought that the ISP decimator (pedal) was for up front and taht the
ISP Gstring (pedal) was for upfront and effect loop.

By the way, the effect loop on the mark IVis serial or parallel?

The recto sound, with its ominous lowend, wall of guitars sound is the last thing you would be able to get with a boost for a mark. Boosts take away lowend and tighten, the exact opposite of the rec tone. I would recommend a boost for a recto, but only a decimator for a mark. What you want is either an eq in the loop, or another amp.

ryjan said:
derekjason said:
Just curious, why do you run a boost on this amp. I've tried a few different ones now and none of then could beat the gain and tightness of the amp by itself to me. Am I missing a boat somewhere?

different sounds....rhym 2 with a bb preamp sounds unreal...heavy, good for leads..yet its voiced differently then my lead channel (which im obsessed with), so its for different purposes/sounds...rhym 1 with my bb is a nice, mid-ish gain, smooth lead tone, also used for a light crunch..god i love my rig, the options are just endless with the IV and 1 OD pedal...but ya...i dont see the point of the mxr 10 band in the loop..do people really not find the GEQ built in the amp enough? you can shape your tone to get those heavy sounds pretty **** good imo...check some of the youtube vids.

also for the OP, you do get recto sounds from a mark, they are completely different circuit boards, both meant for getting awesome, but different sounds.

I run modded SD-1 in front of my IV and an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop.
I can't get a "real" recto sound but it's a lot closer than you'd expect.
I run the level dimed and the gain on zero and the tone at about 11:00.
I run the lead drive at 6 and the lead gain at 6 with the GEQ in a slight V.
(I don't 750 all that much)
the EQ in the loop has the lower mids lightly boosted and the upper mids slightly cut.
in Tweed /simul class/ Triode and mid gain.
I ran my IV side by side with a Rectoverb in Vintage mode set up like this and it was pretty close. these settings "sag up the IV as much as possible (rectos have a ton of sag)
the recto sounds 'bigger" but the mark wasn't all that far off.
I got the "tonality" of the mark and the recto very close
I actually just got off of the phone with the guy who sold me my Mark IV,
thanking him again, I just love this f'n amp.
I'd love to be able to run a IV and aeithre a Tremoverb or a Roadster in Stereo. :D
I haven't had a chance to record this amp yet but I'll make some clips with it set up this way so you can check them out asap.

ryjan said:
you should run your tuner into the record out jack.
why do you say this? will a tuner degrade signal?

I have a 4 space rack with tuner and a few other units (see sig) and I just run everything in the loop, all chained up. makes more sense to only plug in 2 cables instead of 3. now, i dont run the rack setup anymore, but am i missing something? SHOULD i have run the tuner from the Record Out?

bryan_kilco said:
ryjan said:
you should run your tuner into the record out jack.
why do you say this? will a tuner degrade signal?

I have a 4 space rack with tuner and a few other units (see sig) and I just run everything in the loop, all chained up. makes more sense to only plug in 2 cables instead of 3. now, i dont run the rack setup anymore, but am i missing something? SHOULD i have run the tuner from the Record Out?
A quality rack tuner with true bypass shouldnt degrade the signal but most cheaper stomp box tuners can mess the signal up a bit. If you run the tuner in the record out you can always leave it on and use the pull record for silent tuning. This isnt always necessary but its a cool trick and keeps one more component out of your signal chain.

Latest posts

Back