Mark IV: new owner intro + questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk A

Reaction score
[I posted some of this to the announcements board, but decided that this board is the target audience.] Wow! What an amp! My used Compact Combo Mark IV just arrived, and I am delighted. It joins a recent 1x12 Thiele C90 cabinet that arrived last week. I have a bunch of questions:

• 1) where can I find the serial# on the Mark IV chassis? The manual doesn't seem to address this, and I can't readily spot it inside or out.

2) given the serial#, how can I date my Mark IV (w/EV speaker).

3) is there a FAQ concerning Boogie history, serial#s, etc.? I found the one about how to use this Board.

4) what is the community consensus on footswitches? I need one for the reverb, and perhaps other switching too. Someone on eBay markets some boxes; what do YOU like? A review of the footswitch board suggested some answers; the HosaTech boxes have a nice shape, similar to the factory model. Any quality issues?

5) inside the back, on the left hand side, is a circular plastic clip. Is that a spare tube holder? Or what belongs there? Mine's empty.

That's all for starters. I'm looking forward to learning how to make this amp work. About 15 years ago, I used to play a Fender Twin Reverb. Now, after quite a lull, I'm getting back into it again. Ultimately, I aim to rack the head, and decide whether I prefer the C90 or the EV speaker for the Thiele cabinet. I'd rather lug around lighter loads.

on the ventilator you'll find a date.

on the chassis/trafo's/elco's you'll find a date too.

the latest will probably be the date its finished.

serial is on the chassis, just under the ridge, next to the Power trafo(closest to the power chord).

hope you can find the date and serial now.

Looking upward under the lip near the power cord, I found the serial# (IV-0073xx). I didn't see any dates, but I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help!

With the serial# in hand, I called Michael Wolfe with a couple questions. As it turns out, given the serial#, he correctly identified the amp and placed its build date in February 1995.

I also asked about a "Ground" feature on the reverse panel. I'm told that is to prevent ground loops from different electrical circuits.

GintownSound said:
For a spare pre-amp tube, I believe.
Correct, both my Mark IV's came with a spare preamp tube mounted in that plastic holder.

You know the serial number thing is a sore topic for me. I picked up my MarkIV last year at GC. I had my three year old with me when I went in. I knew I was getting it, it was jsut a matter of go in, pay the man, and get home. Well me, the door girl, the store manager and the guitar guy all had our faces all over the back of this thing looking for the serial number. Meanwhile, my son is pacing, jumping up and down, whining. What a nighmare. Randal, please put the serial numbers someplace else from now on.

Scott

scottywompas said:
You know the serial number thing is a sore topic for me. I picked up my MarkIV last year at GC. I had my three year old with me when I went in. I knew I was getting it, it was jsut a matter of go in, pay the man, and get home. Well me, the door girl, the store manager and the guitar guy all had our faces all over the back of this thing looking for the serial number. Meanwhile, my son is pacing, jumping up and down, whining. What a nighmare. Randal, please put the serial numbers someplace else from now on.

Scott

Oh wow, I feel your pain. I have been in GC with my three kids. Even to buy a pack of strings with the three kids is tough. I have the same issue right now. I bought a New MKIV and I just noticed it has different power tubes and the older ruusian 1 preamp tubes. I wish I new how old this amp really is.

Latest posts

Back