Mark IV Metallica Mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I know this was covered a WHILE back, but there really wasn't a whole lot said...

Does anyone have or know of someone currently using a Mark IV with the Metallica Mod? FEEDBACK???

Semi-same topic, anyone know who can do this mod, or in general a reputable tech in the Toronto area who can do mod's on Mark series, say the IV?

I don't think there is a MarkIV Metallica mod. If there is, I highly doubt that anybody knows what it is, because the only person that likely has it is James himself, and I don't think he's gunna run around spewing specifics of modifications done to his amp.

I don't even think he plays the MKIV that much does he? I thought he was all about the MKIIC+. Don't worry about stuff like that, just get your own tone.

What does the 'Metallica Mod' do exactly?

I always thought that master of puppets & ..Jusice were recorded with Mark IIC+'s as a preamp into a Marshall power section?

I think I remember reading somewhere that Boogie was offering a mod for the IIC+ to make it a little less bright sounding (probably just a capacitor change or two). That might be what you're thinking of. I don't know of any common MK IV mods. I love mine just the way it is. Any competent amp tech should be able to tweak the preamp circuit for you to get the sound you're going for. A simpler solution to tweaking the tone of any amp is to try different speakers. So many people obsess over EQing and modding everything and completely neglect their speakers, one of the most critical parts of your amp's tone.

All I've managed to gather is, Hetfield did primarily use C+'s, but on the Black album he also had a Mark IV which he used and supposedly had this mod done, hence why it's called the "Metallica Mod". I've heard that it adds more gain and adds more focus to the lead channel.

Right, cuz the Lead channel doesn't have enough gain and focus already, right?

Stop worrying about a silly Metallica mod. If it does exist you're never gonna know what it is, just play your stinkin' guitar and come up with your own tone, eh? 8)

The only thing I know Metallica did to their Mark IV's were to mod them as a preamp only. They probably then used their Strategy 400 Power Amps.

+Mike+

phantomlord2oo said:
The only thing I know Metallica did to their Mark IV's were to mod them as a preamp only. They probably then used their Strategy 400 Power Amps.

+Mike+

That's not really a mod so much as it is just running the MKIV as a preamp. You didn't happen to get that line from encycmet.com, did you? :lol:

i have a metallica mod on my IIC+ and to be honest I don't play with it. To give an rough idea, it should look like a Modern mode on a IIC+. don't worry about this mod...

my IICents(+)

anyway, if you want one, ask JVK

djemass

More Gain?????

If you need more gain than a stock Mark IV can offer, you have something seriously wrong with your amp or rig. Even with wimpy single coil pickups, gain and drive past 8 is just ridiculous.

Eventually most players come to the realization that turning the gain up higher doesn't always make your sound "heavier". There is a threshold, past which the sound just gets more and more thin, mushy, and fizzy.

The huge guitar sounds you hear on so many albums are a product of MULTI-TRACKING and OVERDUBBING.

Very high gain on any one amp = MUSH

Several mics and takes mixed together with moderate gain setting = HUGE.

Sorry, but even though those are words of wisdom, I'll have to (slightly) disagree.

I do agree that the m4's lead channel has plently of gain for ANY metal rythm, but it has a -little- less than some would want for some particular lead playing. My old rig was a marshall jcm800 using a peavey rockmaster (tube) preamp. It's somewhat similar to what a 5150 or tripple X has gain-wise: a little more than the M4. Not sure if it has more stages or the stages are a little hotter, but with my old setup I could do those whammy bar screams hitting 2nd fret harmonics, like Dimebag would do (covered some pantera songs). I can't quite get them out right on my M4 like I could before. Even w/ the added gain, my old rig wasn't muddy at all, if anything a little tighter/focused than the M4.

That said, it's not a big deal and I'll take my M4 over my old rig anyday. It has plenty of gain for me (barring the 2nd fret squeals) and the tone just can't be beat...

Latest posts

Back