Mark IV & MESA 2x12 Vertical Cab.......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Ok, I'm moving out of state and due to lack of space I had to get rid of my 4x12 cabs.
I just picked up a new vertical 2x12 that has the V30's in it. I have yet to test it with my Mark IV but did test it with a
Mark V in the store on ch 3 set to the "Mark IV" and then tweaked similar to my settings. (The Mark V is kick ***!)
This is my first time playing through Vintage 30's (I am used to the G12T-75's in my Marshall cabs) and am not sure
I like them.
I know I have lost some low end going from a 4x12 to the 2x12, but this 2x12 is a bit larger than most as it's only a H difference of 5" and W difference of 5 1/2" of a 4x12 Rect Slant cab. I'm thinking the V30 just isn't punchy enough?
What would be a good alternative? I play metal to rock.
I was thinking the EV12L-Classic reissue. Isn't that the same speaker that MESA used to use? Anyone have experience with the EV and a Mark IV?

I have your exact setup and use celestion G12t-100's. It's a ballsier g12t-75. Sounds awsome for rockl and metal.

ryjan said:
I have your exact setup and use celestion G12t-100's. It's a ballsier g12t-75. Sounds awsome for rockl and metal.

That's an idea - I was thinking about putting G12T-75's in it but was fixated on the EV. I have heard good things about the G12T-100.

I had the same feeling about the V30's when I tried them again. I used to like them but after playing the EVM12L for a while nothing else compares. The V30's sounded muddy, muffled like there was a blanket of the cab.
Try a Thiele cabinet with EVM's great low end and clarity.

Remove the bottom V30 and slap an EVM-12L in there and you will be set. Mesa used to issue them this way back in the 80's and I kick myself for selling the four vert 2x12's I had in that configuration. I now use a mix of EV and Cel still, just not the same metal grill Mesa cab. I've been using two 1x12's lately; an EV Theile and a 1/2 back 1x12 with a Cel G12-75 and it sounds great... it pumps!

That's a good Idea, then I only have to get 1 speaker and see if I like it.

+1 on the EV/Celestion combination - the EVM12L/Celestion-of-some-variety mix has a great rep in those metal grille cabs.

I'm surprised the V30s don't have enough 'punch'...
my vert 212 cuts like a knife with the IIC+
I definitely hear the V30 as a more forward sounding speaker than the 75s

The IIC+ with a vert and 1265/1275 definitely had a 'softer' tone to it.

you will def lose some low end with the V30s, but might want to consider adding a 1275 back to the cab to pick some of that up. my former cab with the 65/75 combo had plenty of bass. you might also just swap the 30s for some 75s if you like that sound...

groovebelly said:
I'm surprised the V30s don't have enough 'punch'...
my vert 212 cuts like a knife with the IIC+
I definitely hear the V30 as a more forward sounding speaker than the 75s

The IIC+ with a vert and 1265/1275 definitely had a 'softer' tone to it.

you will def lose some low end with the V30s, but might want to consider adding a 1275 back to the cab to pick some of that up. my former cab with the 65/75 combo had plenty of bass. you might also just swap the 30s for some 75s if you like that sound...

I would love to put 65's in it, but I can't see spending $199.00 ea for them new.
Back in the 80's all of my Marshall cabs had the 65s!
I love that speaker but I just don't see a Celestion being worth that much, it's a cheap stamped speaker.
I wouldn't pay the $149 ea for a V30 either. Celestions are a $25-$80 range of speakers IMO.
$189-$250ea is a wallet tap for sure for the EV, but look at that basket & magnet - it looks worth the money.

LOL - now I'm sure I've opened the worm can and those of you more knowledgeable about speakers are thinking I'm an idiot.
True, I'm not as informed about speakers as I am guitars/amps - that is just my clueless impression about speakers.
I only know enough that I can hear the difference in speakers and have usually liked Celestions over other brands.

Still, I don't see Celestions being worth that much money.
They don't look to be any better constructed than they were back then to warrant the price.

LOL - maybe I'm just becoming a cheap old Scrooge!

Anyway, I've decided to keep the V30's in there until after I move. I just got my case back for the cab, my rig is nice and compact now.

mesarig002.jpg

rvschulz said:
i run mine with the MC-90 Black Shadow on top and Evm-12L on the bottom.

I run the same in a pair of metal grill 2X12's. It is the best of everything I've tried with older Mesa Amps including the MK IV!

I am new to this and just picked up a couple of metal grilled partial open back 2x12's. They are in rough shape from many gigs but the speakers are intact. I plan on doing the body work to make them look like they should again. The reason I am writing is totally different, Although I believe the old cabs I have will reveal the sweet speaker combination you are looking for, I do have a project cab that contains 4-16 ohm GT12k-85's. I only need two for my project, and they may be just what you need for the bigger bottom you are craving in the 2x12 you have. I know a few months have gone by, but hey, I would trade, or part with them for a fraction of what a new k-100 goes for, and most of the word on the street is the k-85 was better anyway. might be worth a try.
I did a little fooling around with a G12H30 to combine it with a v-30 like the custom guys often do to get better bottom in an open back, but found it to be worse than the v-30's alone. Just my tin ear I guess. Still got that puppy laying around too, (brand new sadly) k-85 has better bass. Hopefully todays cab purchase will end my fiddling.

Latest posts

Back