Mark iv ... love it! now what cab....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebby123

Reaction score
I have a mesa oversized recto 4x12 its a old one that i bought used but its very fizzy i tried a stilleto cab at my local guitar shop and liked it alot i heard that c 90's sound better so im thinking between A stilleto cab... A orange 4x12 (Dont like that i have to use 16 ohm load id have amp a little more to get the same volume... Vht Deliverance 4x12.. Or bogner 4x12..(V30) Ah dunno..

the best possible cab for a mark IV, imo is an angled metal grill boogie cab with all ev's.

but its expensive to put together (because you probably won't find one stock), and they're REALLY heavy. 160lbs-ish.

a traditional angled cab with c90's would be awesome.
ev/thiele 1x12 is also a standard with that amp if you want something small.

I need a 4x12... What if i buy a stilleto and do and x with v 30's and c 90's some one else on the forum and had good results :)

I'm not particularly fond of the C90 in my mk IV combo, but I really, really like the ev in my thiele :D

charndt said:
I'm not particularly fond of the C90 in my mk IV combo, but I really, really like the ev in my thiele :D

Agreed, I've never liked the C90/Mark IV combination. Mine is EV loaded, and I have a 1x12 EV extension cab also - so I guess my suggestion is something with an EV, either 1 or 2x12. Dumble uses EV 1 & 2x12 cabinets, so did Boogie for 30 odd years - who am I to argue with Howie and Randy? You've done the right thing by trying cabinets, but I'd look second hand, as Boogie (or anyone else AFAIK) don't do EV loaded cabs any more.

Mmm...I suggest you to buy an old 4x12 Mesa cab with metal grille; then buy 4 Vintage 30 or similar like Eminence The Governor...for me this is the best choice... :wink:

I did the X-pattern V30/C90 thing in my Stiletto straight cab. I like it. I think the speakers compliment each other extremely well. I got the idea from my RK cab, from switching back and forth between the V30 and C90 sides on each channel, trying to see what I liked better. I always went back to running both sides together because it just seemed to round out the sound better. V30's seem a little more mid ranged and fizzy, C90's a little more scooped and open. Together they sound great in my opinion.

I have not compared them to other speakers though. Don't have any experience with EV's

I guess I'm not sure if there is a difference as far as being quieter with different ohms. Wrong person to ask about that. I have not noticed any differences as far as that goes, with the different ways I've hooked up my cab.

Keep in mind, the RK cab is half open back, half closed with a divider between sides. Like two 2x12 cabs together.

The Stiletto cab is completely closed, a true 4x12. Mesa did the x-pattern thing for me. I had it ordered that way.

I think the EVM is the perfect speaker for the MKIV. So if you can find one with them already installed, that's great. If not, try to find some and load up a cab. I also think an old metal-grill half back cab would be nice too. I play through a Thiele/EV and also a 2x12 Recto cab/V30. The EV is a truer speaker for the MKIV to show off it's tone, but I haven't found another amp that I like as much through it. The V30s color the amp with that certain celestion sound that's great for metal, especially Metallica! The C90 I had did the same thing, but with just a little different tone.

Back