MARK IV HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalblitz84

Reaction score
I just got my brand new Mark IV, and I can't seem to get any gain at all from
channel 2 or the lead. I've read countless times it's really difficult and takes time to get those metallica crunch like tones, but I've spent hours and haven't gotten anywhere. Can anyone give me simple straight forward instructions on how to get the high gain crunch and how to set it to get me going??? Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you checked the amp settings database up top? Seems to be a number of heavy settings in there that would work for you. I know once I get a Mark IV in, that's the first place I'm going for a good starting point. Too lazy to spend forever dialing stuff in from scratch. lol

Can't seem to get any gain from the Lead Channel? Jesus kid what are you doing...R2 has gain just not the required amount that you need so don't count on getting any Metallica type tones from that channel. For the Lead Channel try these settings. You can nail any metal tone on this channel with the right guitar and picking technique.

Lead Gain: 8 (pull)
Lead Treble: 7.5
Lead Bass: 2
Lead Mid: 3
Lead Drive: 8 (pull)
Lead Presence: 3 (pull) or higher if you need more gain.
Lead Volume: 1.5
Master Volume: 3
Power: Tweed

Pentode / Class A / Mid Gain

EQ:

80 - Edge of slider on the top line
240 - Right above the middle line
750 - Between bottom and mid line
(for scooped tone (Metallica), lower 750 right above the bottom line)
2200- Right above the middle line
6600- Slightly (3mm?) above the mid line

Here's some tips:

Treble, Lead Gain/Drive, and Presence all work together to produce gain.

Raising your Master Volume louder than the Channel Volume usually produces a better tone since it's mainly tube distortion your going to hear.

The way you pick will also change your tone usually making it more aggresive.

A couple months ago I was in the same position as you, frantically searching for settings to find an awesome tone. All I can say is, give it some time, keep experimenting, and everyday you will learn something about the amp that will help you find your ideal tone.

Have fun 8)

yea thats a pretty normal feeling when you first get this amp it seems. i know for one thing, i disliked almost all of the settings that i found online. you just have to keep tweaking it. and then tweak some more cause the next day it might sound like sh!t :lol:

Are you aware of the push pull pots? The Mark IVs have a ton of gain. Try the settings posted up there, they look good and should get you somewhere atleast to start.

All I can say is that I got perfect Metallica tones right away with a MarkIV using the Master of Puppets 'Recto-ish' Mark sound settings on the Amp-Tone Settings page. Here they are:

Lead Gain - 8 pull
Lead Treble - 7
Lead Bass - 3
Lead Mid - 2.5
Lead Drive - 7.5 pull
Lead Master - 3
Lead Presence - 2.5 pull
EQ:
80 - 3/4 to Top
240 - Center Line
750 - Bottom
2200 - Center Line
6600 - Half to Center
Output Level - 3
Power - Full
Class - Simul-Class
Harmonics - Harmonics
Power - Triode
Reverb - 0

My guitar is EMG-81 powered though. If you have more warm-sounding pickups, try raising the Lead Treble and Lead Mid, while lowering the Mid Bass.

Latest posts

Back