Mark IV head vs used combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you choose?

• Combo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Head

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Andy9999

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Im looking to buy a mark IV.
Recently, guitar center got a used compact combo and are selling it for $1050, but i wanted the head, but that would cost me $1850.
I know I can attach my 4x12 to the combo and use it as a head, and also a combo may be more convienient for moving home after band practices so i dont have to lug my 4x12 to play it, or if i jam with friends that only have combos so it won't be overkill. Unfortunatly, the only warrenty on it would be a 30 day thing.

So its buy the head which would look cooler and have the good warrenty or buy the combo, save $800 and have it sometimes be more convienient, but if something happens to it after 30 days im in trouble. Also, the guy said he didn't know how old it was or how old the tubes were.

What would you do? Im having a hard time deciding

It would be cheaper to buy the combo now and get a head cabinet later from Mesa or any of a number of cabinet makers for around 200 - 300 bucks.

1050.00 + 300.00 = $1350.00 (thats alot better than $1850.00)

Get it... that's a great price.

Chris... 8)

I had the same situation and actually traded in my Solo 50 head and 2x12 cab to get a IV Combo. I needed the xtra space.

First off the sound is amazing! I can't come close to crankin' it in my apt, it's very loud! However, When I went to the studio to rock out with my friends, the cleans were good and RHY1 sounded good but RHY2 needed more balls! I plugged the combo into a 4x12 cab and wow!! Sounded great!!

The combo is easy to carry and if you wanna play venues you can get great sounds at medium volumes and mic it if necessary.

I'm gonna keep the combo and get a cab later on.

JA

Thanks to both of you. Looks like ill be getting that combo and maybe get the head cabinet a little later. Thanks a lot!
Can't wait to get it and crank it with my band.

You can always get the combo an sit it on a vertical 2X12. The sound is pretty huge. As far as the tubes, you would not know how much demo time the head has on it anyway. Unless it is still in the box they could be just as spent. Buying new tubes is just another part of having the luxury of a tube amp.

I used my combo on a horizontal 2x12 for years. I've still got it, but mostly just use the combo these days.

I actually dig using the combo with the EV and a Mesa 4FB 4X12.
What a great blend of high and low end. The open back just adds a bit more sizzle to the sound and cuts nicely. For all out balls, the 4X12 is the way to go and I am not ashamed to have a combo sitting beside a 4X12. It kick the butt of a Marshall anyday... :D

Danny Spitz used to put his MK III on his Mesa 4X12 so we can do it too!!!

Latest posts

Back