Mark IV for a DC-3 or DC-5??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnb1kr

Reaction score
I have a Mark IV head with a 2x12 vertical Recto cab. While the Mark IV sounds great I am finding out what everyone says to be true, it is a tweakers amp. I simply don't have the time with work and other things to really sit and play with it like I should and it needs. I had a DC-3 combo before that I really liked but I couldn't get the kind of bottom I wanted. I mainly play classic style rock but also want to get a Metallica Black album kind of tone sometimes. Can a DC-3 do this with the 2x12 cab or should I look to the DC-5 with the 6l6 tubes. I am thinking about the DC series because of the things I liked about the DC-3 I had. More plug and play, well as much as a Boogie can be anyway. I figure I can either trade the Mark IV for one of the DC's plus cash or just sell and buy a DC and maybe another guitar. Any suggestions?

life's a journey. if your really not liking the mark right now (like me), trade/sell for a new amp. an amp you've never had before. if your meant to have a mark iv, it will come back to you. :wink:

My experience with the DC-3 is that you should be able to get the deep, full tone you're looking for if you hook one up to a 2x12 cab. I did this for a while (before I got sick of lugging the extra cab around), and it definitely fattens up the amp. Running through a quad box gives even more impressive results. The 2x12 I was using was an old Fender open back box, so the thing still had that nice airy sound. But the bottom end was definitely enhanced in a good way.

I'm like you - I love the DC-3 because of its simplicity. For small rooms I use that amp all the time, and for outdoor shows it's also my go-to amp, because it mics up really well. For the venues in between I rely on an F-50, which is also a really goog plug and play amp.

If I were you, I'd keep the Mark IV, because it's a great amp, and save up the beans for a used DC-3 which you can pick up at a fairly decent price if you look hard enough. Good luck.

I used to use my DC-3 combo with an EV loaded Theile cab underneath. It absolutely rocked and had great bass response.

Plus, it was very light and easy to carry, & it makes your rig look like a mini stack.

I have a Mark IV A that I have been using for the last few months, but am thinking about using my DC-10, or DC-3 instead. The Mark IV gives me some incredible tones, but is very touchy. I can play in the same room, with the same guitar, but a different day and get a completely different tone. Same settings, nothing changed that I know of, even the same cords.

I also have a DC-5, but the 10 has way more bass. 2x12 & 100 watts, vs. 1x12 & 50 watts. It's not really a fair comparison.

I used to use my DC-3 combo with an EV loaded Theile cab underneath. It absolutely rocked and had great bass response.

Plus, it was very light and easy to carry, & it makes your rig look like a mini stack.

I have a Mark IV A that I have been using for the last few months, but am thinking about using my DC-10, or DC-3 instead. The Mark IV gives me some incredible tones, but is very touchy. I can play in the same room, with the same guitar, but a different day and get a completely different tone. Same settings, nothing changed that I know of, even the same cords.

I also have a DC-5, but the 10 has way more bass. 2x12 & 100 watts, vs. 1x12 & 50 watts. It's not really a fair comparison.

DC-5 and MKIII owner weighing in here.....

I do tend to use the DC-5 most of the time now with EV Thiele cabs and it gets me the low-end girth while not killing my back. I have found ( at least to me) that the DC5 lead channel is more "modern" and in your face compared to the MK3 Simul wich has a tad bit of spongyness to it that I do still like. ( may be my EQ settings)

I'm not a tweaker either so that's probably why I end up with the DC5. I have thought about making the boost/crunch pull setting on the clean channel footswitchable which to me would really complete this amp. My effects are pretty simple so I don't need multiple/switchable loops. ( I probably tap dance too much at gigs but it works for me.

I also started putting an old early '80's RAT in front of the lead channel at times; its set for a slight boost and with the dirty channel sends this amp into harmonics heaven.

I think the DC is a highly under-rated amp. Test drive if you can though.
Good luck.

To answer your question 6L6s have better bottom end IMO. This DC-5 is still available if you don't mind a bit of a drive. You won't find one cleaner.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=14841&highlight=pristine+dc5

Looks great but I have to sell the Mark first. I really want a head though yours looks really nice but it's too far to drive for me for that.

Latest posts

Back