Mark IV feed back Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwordsman13

Reaction score
Yo, I am having a bit of trouble controlling the feedback on my Mark IV. It's on the lead channel only, and I have the gain and drives set pretty high (sounds good), but the feedback is a pain. It is not controllable until I turn the guitar all the way down, and as soon as i crank it back up WEEEEEEEEE! more feedback. I was wondering if guys had any suggestions as to what this may be. Note, this only happen when I have the master turned up past 3, otherwise it's quiet. Someone told me it could be that my guitar doesn't have any laquer on it, but I didn't think that would cause uber feedback. Any Ideas? 8)

Sounds like it could also be squeeling from a defective preamp tube. You could test this theory by swapping out the preamp tubes with any you have lying around, even swapping the existing ones around might reveal a change in the problem, which could reveal if it's the tubes.

well, I just got my pickups replaced, so I hope it's not that, and as for preamp tubes, I was going to try that tomorrow just to see what I would get. But is there any way to tell if it actually is the pickups?

It could be that your guitar electronics aren't shielded well and/or that you're just too close to your amp for those volumes. I have that problem with my Tele sometimes on the boost mode if I'm standing too close to my amp.

backwordsman13 said:
Someone told me it could be that my guitar doesn't have any laquer on it)

hahahaha..

please disregard anything else this person tells you about gear.

i'd guess noisey pickup if its more a high pitched feedback.
usually the "wooooooooooo", not as high pitched, kinda pulsating at first then constant feedback is a preamp tube.
how high are you running your gain, drive, and treble controls?
if all of them are in the 9's, then there is pretty much no way to avoid noise at high volumes. it says so in the bible...er the manual.

if you have to run it at really really high gain, then maybe look into getting an isp decimator noise gate pedal.

They aren't all 9ed, but pretty close. I have a noise gate on my processor but it doesn't kill the feedback just the hum. And as far as shielding, how would I check/fix that? Thanks

shielding will just look like foil on the inside of the backing plates and/or wood around electronics. If you're using the harmonics mode at lower volumes make sure you switch to mid gain as you turn the volume up.

Lack of shielding causes hum (bzzzzzz!), not "feedback" (squeeeeal!). Although it sounds more like the problem is microphonics, not feedback. If the "feedback" occurs when you turn up the guitar but you're not playing a note, it's microphonics. Could be tubes, could be pickups.
If you "dime" everything, especially gain controls, you are just asking for the pre-amp tubes to go microphonic (squeeeeeal!), even at low settings of the master volume.

My advice is to plug in another guitar with similar pickups and see if you get the same effect.

As has been pointed out, your problem cannot be due to lack of shielding, this causes a hummm sound rather than a squeel.

Let us know how you get along.

How are you running the amp? It you have the gain/drive up plus fat pulled and bright pulled with tthe mid gain you will feedback at moderate volumes.

HamerFan said:
How are you running the amp? It you have the gain/drive up plus fat pulled and bright pulled with tthe mid gain you will feedback at moderate volumes.

According to the manual, "As the setting of the LEAD DRIVE is increased, the MID GAIN continues to add huge amounts of extra boost, which at some point will become overwhelming and cause unnecesary noise, squealing and feedback when used in cojunction with the LEAD BRIGHT and LEAD FAT switches. For loud high-gain playing most seasoned veterans will prefer the switch in its HARMONICS position."

alright, I will all of these possible solutions a shot, but I forgot to mention that when I use my wireless system, the problem with feed back disappears. I just hate my wireless thing, because it adds a fuzz to the signal.

It's definitely not a shielding issue then, and I was backwards on the harmonics/mid gain switch (too much recording yesterday), it's probably your cable if switching to wireless fixed it. Check your cables and I'd agree on checking your pull switches.

Alright, so I replaced V3 (first lead input stage) and turned the gain from 8 to 7.5 ish maybe a little less, then used a different cable, cranked it and the feedback was controllable. So basically I did all that was recommened and the problem is more or less solved. I think it is mainly because I had a high front end set of JJs in there that I was getting super feedback. Thanks a lot everyone! 8) Btw I replaced it with a EHX 12AX7.

backwordsman13 said:
They aren't all 9ed, but pretty close. I have a noise gate on my processor but it doesn't kill the feedback just the hum. And as far as shielding, how would I check/fix that? Thanks

Maybe the input of you processor is coming in to hot. That happened to me before with my wireless. Once adjusted it's fine. I also recomend an ISP Decimater. That is better than any 'stock' gate in a processor. Mainly because it is a stand alone pedal. It specifies in noise, where as those multi-effect units usually (from my experience) add more noise/hissssssssssssss. Then on top of it, you can here the **** thing click on and off. ISP you can't here it turn on and off, even if you dime that knob. Oh yeah..there is only 1 knob on thing, so you can't **** it up!

Yeah, I had a decimator, but never had any good experience with it. I think it was because i used it in the loop of my dual rec which is incredibly noisy in and of itself and it totally killed any of the sustain that was there. I now have a mark Iv and a g system and it is truly epic. I do agree that the noise gate could be better, but until I have an extra $100 to spend on one again, I think it does the job. I don't know, I want to try to get m rig as quiet as possible without a noise gate, because i hear it can be done, but it is really hard lol. The one thing I do like about the nose gate on the g system is it doesn't kill any sustain once it's leveled right.

You were definately not using it properly. The ISP will not kill any sustain..and when it "turns on" you can't hear it. It's actually a limiter in recording terms. Because the knob lets you limit the amounf of dB. I don't know why you would put a pedal like that in the loop. The noise is from your guitar - that makes the amp noisy. You are never going to be able to get an amp and guitar completely noiseless w/out some kind of manipulatation going on. Especially w/ your gain channel. I myself only turn on the ISP when I am practicing at our space or basements..basically any residential electric plugs at high volumes. When I get out live..most places are grounded properly so I never even have to turn it on. I mean c'mon these things ar 60-70 bux max.

yeah, I am taking your advice and ordering one again to give it another shot with the new amp. I had a coupon for musician's friend so i'll be getting it soon to see how it works. Where do you recommend i place it?

Latest posts

Back