Mark IV export model.... does it have taps for USA voltage?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been going through a saga of trying to score this Mark IVb combo, went to test/purchase on saturday, powered on but wasn't getting any sound. Long story short the fellow was european and not a musician, and after poking around I realized that it was a 240v export model (I'm in the US). I left dejected but then decided to talk to the seller some more. I ordered a stepdown transformer and got an agreement for a significantly discounted price (assuming everything tests out fine once I get that and go back)

Now I'm fine using the stepdown for now, especially at the price, but my question is, do the export models contain taps for USA voltage that I could have a tech switch out? I messaged Mesa Boogie but I feel like my question wasn't totally understood but was referred to the repair shop. From what I've read online it sounds like the export models often had taps for the entire range of international voltages?

Just bumping this thread to provide an answer in case anyone in the future is trying to figure this out (had to register a new account, locked out of the old one....)

Anyway the answer is YES the Mark IVb export model transformer DOES have several different taps for various voltages. Obviously when retapping, the fuse must be switched out (along with its holder) and a correct value MOV must be swapped as well. I will note, the MOV does not go in the exact same position as the previous one in the circuit. This was throwing my tech for a loop for a bit but he got answers direct from Mike B.

Mesa Boogie support may or may not give you correct information regarding this. one guy I was talking to was very insistent that I needed to buy an entirely new OT. He was WRONG. Not every CS rep tried to tell me that, but he was certainly not helpful.

Not sure on the OT, depends on the plate voltage you end up with. Keep in mind that the export models run on 50Hz. Those transformers will also have a higher efficiency and may run a higher output voltage when used at 60Hz compared to transformers for the US market. That higher efficiency will keep the transformer cooler too.

Best to check the part number on the OT to confirm it is the same as that used in the US. Also may need to confirm the plate voltage is not running on the high side once the wiring has been modified on the Export PT.

Latest posts

Back