Mark IV: ENORMOUS amount of feedback

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcalabro

Reaction score
HI all :)

I am getting a tremendous amount of feedback with the ol' markIV on the LEAD channel.
here are the settings:

Power: Full
Triode / Simul-Class / Mid Gain

SG Standard fitted with EMG81s

Pedals: DD-2, GE-7, TU-2

Once again, this is the Lead channel only. NO matter how far i get from the thing it's squeelin'. Also, low volumes it's OK.. high volumes hurt :(

Any ideas?
thanks

Mid Gain and the Lead Pull Bright will make it squeal like a pig. It causing the preamp tubes to go microphonic. Too much of the treble and 6600 will only add to the problem.

ahhhh
Thank you, I will try that soon as i get home.
I'm pretty sure it was in the bright position

so do most people just not pull the bright?

i love the tone so much i've just been dealing with the noise i get, most of which is intrinsic to the amp (not much quieter if i disconnect my guitar - strat with lace sensors/hot rails).

i put my slip cover on between rehearsals and a lot of the knobs get pushed back in. one day i forgot to pull the bright again when we started, i could tell immediately that it just didnt sound right.

It's not the preamp tubes or passive pickups. Every MK IV does this with mid gain, pull bright and a master volume over 1. It does it with EMG 81's,85's, Duncan JB's, Customs, Gibson 57 Classics, Fralin 8-9K, Dimarzio Tone Zone, JP's, X2N's, Lace Sensors, Tom Holmes, Bardens, and cheap Ibanez 1987 RG550 stock pickups.

Oh, and it's in the owners manual where it reffers to the MK IV's gain potential to a Ferrari.

OK.. got home and did a bunch of testing..

Boogiebabies and rabies thanks a bunch! you were both a lot of help!

when i got home i checked right away if the bright was pulled on the lead channel, and it was not. So it turns out it was the EMG81 in the bridge position. (in this case)

Ideas of what i should do, or replace this with?

thanks!

Back