Mark IV effects loop question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevy Z 302

Reaction score
I've heard that the effects loop in the mk iv sucks, or in older mesa's in general.

I just thought i'd ask to get a better understanding of it, if i do pick up a mkiv i plan to run things through the loop so its got me a bit concerned.

Also is it parallel or series? Like i know my powerball goes to 100% wet, but the recto only gets to 90% wet. Im a bit of a noob when it comes to the technical aspet (terms descriptions, etc) so my apologies there.

It's a serie loop, and no it doesn't sucks at all, it's very transparent and noise free.

Antoine said:
It's a serie loop, and no it doesn't sucks at all, it's very transparent and noise free.
+1

although mine is a 2003 so i dont think would qualify as an "older mesa"

The iv's FX loop is one of the best in the business IMO, make sure you only run the correct devices in the loop - chorus, delays, phasers etc - your channel masters act as the "Send" level and the Global Master is your "return" level.

Also, make sure that you don't run the channel masters too high or you will overload the fx and it'll sound crap.

Buy a IV, you will not regret it, I guarantee :D :D

I've run everything from a roland SDE1000 to an old Echoplex to aZoom multi effect to a $14 fab chorus in the loop of my MKiv. I have had no problems.

Scott

I have an early mark IV. The loop on this one has a slight volume drop and loss of top end when engaged. I tried several different effects in there (I even tested with a 6" patch cord connected between the send and return jacks). I tried Boogie Tech support to no avail. I even looked for feedback on this forum but it seems that is is not common to fing this kind of issues on a MkIV's loop. I guess it just mine that is not working properly.

Good luck

I can only run my channel masters up to 3 or 4 before I start overdriving my pedals. Good pedals too -- a TC Electronic chorus/flange and a Voodoo Labs micro vibe. I know it is overdriving because I can both hear the clip at about 5 on the channel master and I can see the clip light flash on the TC.

Is this common? Sure would like to be able to crank these a bit more because I like the sound of the preamp section when it's run a bit harder.

Same here, just bought an IVA , effects loop halves the volume.
did you guys found any solution?

Hate to say that I sold my mark iv, never having solved this issues. I've had about 5 boutique amps since then, and the only one with an fx loop worth a crap was my matchless.

my loop is quiet, transparent as hell with zero effects on the volume of the amp, on any channel at any level...if you heard the IV loop sucks, you heard wrong.

My Mark is almost about as early as they come a 90 and the effects loop works great with no issues at all 80's CE-2, 80's Boss Delay, Deja Vibe ,Sonic Maximizer all work fine

Latest posts

Back