Mark IV Combo - rattling?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thindave

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum (been lurking a little while...). I have a Mark IV short combo - bubinga & wicker which I bought new back in 92 or 93 which I've just started playing again after a few years of sitting in my closet.

Anyway, when I first powered it up, it played for a bit until the fuse blew. I checked the tubes and saw one that glowing pretty brightly right after powering it up, so I swapped it and another out for two new mesa el34's I picked up in my local shop.

I'm now noticing something like a high pitch rattling noise when playing the R2 or lead channel. I'm going to bring it in to get it a once-over, but I figured I would check here first in case anything jumped out an anybody...

Also, thanks for the great forum - lots of good info here!

Dave

Sounds like a preamp tube... try swaping the preamp tubes for the R2 channel. V2 I think

Thanks, I was thinking about a full re-tube anyway. I know a lot of folks recommend Eurotubes - any other suggestions?

This might sound silly but.... are you sure its the amp?

My MKIV can rattle a room pretty good.

That's funny you mention it because I did have it happen once with my Bose PAS1 - I was like "This thing is borked! Whenever I play an F#, it's rattling like crazy..." Until I noticed that it was just shaking the hell out of the pictures on my wall... :)

I'm pretty sure it's the amp as I listened closely at the open back - I think after 13 years it's time to change the tubes out anyway... :)

Thanks!

Oh yeah I'd say your due . Tubes dont last forever.

It just reminded me of a door jam that was making noise. I could'nt figure it out until I just happened to lean against it and suddenly I found my noise.

Well, I followed the recommendations of others here on the forum and ordered a 6V6 replacement set from Bob @ Eurotubes and all I can say is wow. Great warm, creamy gain at reasonable volumes - I highly recommend them!

Yeah, there must've been a bad one in the bunch - thanks to all for the help and suggestions...

A little trick for finding out which tube is rattling is to have a friend play the note or notes that cause the rattle. Put on an oven mitt and grab the tubes one by one. Rattle stops and you found the tube. I find that EL34's will be more prone to rattle than 6L6.

brianf

My neighbour used to knock on the walls when playing. Sometimes when i'm playing powerchords and low stuf I stop because I think shes at it again. when i stop the sounds stop. I had this for 2 months when I found out it was the Low notes reaching the wall and coming back from it! It really sounds like someone banging the walls!!!!

My Mark IV combo used to rattle too.

This went on for several months & I could never figure it out until one day the "Clue Bird" landed on my shoulder.

It was the 4 removable casters that I had stored away in the back. DUH..... :oops:

I went and got new tubes for my Peavey C30 because I thought one of the power tubes was bad....changed all tubes and the trouble was still there. Notices the bad/rattling sound (on certain notes played on lower register that REALLY sounded as a tube problem) came from a one scratchy pot in the amp, vibrating i.e. contact/no-contact when playing!! Sprayed all pots with contact cleaner that solved the problem.

PS: I still needed spare tubes for the amp so these new JJs will not be wasted!

Latest posts

Back