Mark IV combo live

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackmesa

Reaction score
how do they compare to the strength of 100 watt tube halfstacks? If they aren't strong enough to be heard, what size cabinet should i get? thanks!

Eddie

My MKIV wide body combo with an EVL speaker smokes many of my friends Marshall half-stacks. I used to run two Mesa full stacks at one time in my early twenties, it was usually louder than most PA's 8)

Anyway, I like to use my combo with a couple of theile cabs powered by a Simul 395 for a total of three speakers. This is more than enough.

its pretty **** loud. i opted for another 12" just to fill out the sound and bring the combo up closer to ear level.

if you get a compact combo,you can stack it up on top of a thiele. i have the wide combo on the wide open back 1x12", both with C90's, and for rehearsals i only have to go to about 2.5 on the master to get up above the drums.

The biggest downfalls to having a combo IMO are 1. the weight 2. it won't have the bass of a closed back cab and 3. the weight. You could always switch out to a wide head since the chassis is interchangable and go with a 1 12 open cab and 112 closed back or thiele cab plus it will be easier to transport. A 1 12 will be loud enough for rock but for tight metal riffs (unless it is mic'd) you might want to make sure you have 2 12's going at once and have at least 1 of them closed back. I have not tried my Mark IV combo but I am sure it will sound great as is although I usually prefer the tone of a closed back cab we will see how well it cuts.

I am planning to do at least 1 mod to my mark IV combo and that is stocking it with an EVM 12L speaker. I really like these speakers right now because they let the amp really come through with a lot less coloration compared to guitar speakers (note the EVM 12L was not made for guitar but as a generic speaker for just about all applications).

If you feel the 112 can't hang with the band then an extension cab will do the trick (either 112 or 212) and you should be killing 412's in no time.

Greg

i must admit i have been very tempted of late to switch my chassis into a headshell and pick up a metal-grill 2x12

eltrain858 said:
i must admit i have been very tempted of late to switch my chassis into a headshell and pick up a metal-grill 2x12
My advice DO IT!
I started with the head then years ago got it into (my head) the get the combo cab, now I’m back to a head. It’s great to have the versatility takes 10mins to switch the chassis with a screw gun (that’s taking your time)but I have left off the brackets for the footswitch (never cared for the storage for the footswitch)

blackmesa said:
how do they compare to the strength of 100 watt tube halfstacks? If they aren't strong enough to be heard, what size cabinet should i get? thanks!

Eddie
Blackmesa? Fellow Half-life player I assume?

ursinus said:
My MKIV wide body combo with an EVL speaker smokes many of my friends Marshall half-stacks.
Same experience here come to think of it a few friends with 50 watt Marshalls and 4x12’s had problems keeping up with my caliber .22 with 1x12

I have a short head that sits on a mesa 1x12 EVM 200watt cab for small gig's or when i can't be stuffed carry my quad.. It sounds great.. REALLY CUT's thought.. it's even better if you have a rhy guitarist with a dual recto and a orange 4x12 becasue then his sound is very big and full with a big bottom end and then your mk IV and 1x12 cab or combo sits just over it and cuts like a razor...

eltrain858 said:

I just swapped mine back in to a head shell because the combo weighs a tone with an EVM in it. It is basically in preparation for a halfback 2x12 though. I was running the EVM loaded combo on an EVM loaded Thiele. It was pretty loud like that. I like using a G/B loaded 4x12 with the Thiele or with the combo. The Traditional 4x12 with V30's certainly rocks too.

There is nothing to be scared about as far as competing with a 100 watt tube halfstacks. You will want at least one sealed or ported speaker cab. The combo by itself needs to be elevated a little or accompanied by another cabinet. The EVM is very efficient and really uses everything you put into it. The EVM also gives you exactly what you put into it without coloring your sound.

6L6C said:
blackmesa said:

Eddie

ursinus said:
My MKIV wide body combo with an EVL speaker smokes many of my friends Marshall half-stacks.
Same experience here come to think of it a few friends with 50 watt Marshalls and 4x12’s had problems keeping up with my caliber .22 with 1x12

haha yea i love half life!

6L6C said:

I played Half-Life for a while but I moved on to CounterStrike Source. Then I moved on to Battlefield2. I gave up after the 3rd expansion pack.

can anyone tell me what the whole thing with headshells is? im really new to that area. I have a rough understanding of what they are but i'm pretty sure that i can learn more about them, feel like filling me in?

The actual box your chassis would sit in to make it a head instead of a combo or rackmount.

You know the vinyl tolexed or leather covered thing your amp is in. That is a shell/cabinet/enclosure. Head shell/cabinet refers to the enclosure that a chassis sits in to make it a head. Combo shell/cabinet refers to the enclosure that houses your chassis and the speaker. The handle is attached to the shell on top. The feet are screwed into the bottom of the shell. Your casters if you have them are screwed to your shell. Your box that the amp chassis itself is bolted into is your enclosure/shell/cabinet.

A wide chassis goes in a wide shell (head or combo).

A short chassis goes in a short shell (head or combo) or the metal rackmount enclosure.

so would you say its relatively easy to do? I would assume so but im a novice when it comes to amp remodeling.

Remove your tubes (keep them in order). Invert your amp on a folded towel on a table. Slide one end at a time to the edge and remove the four screws holding your amp in the shell. These are located on the top when it is right side up. Carefully remove your chassis being careful not to touch the inside of it where all those little candy and battery looking things are. Slide it into the new enclosure carefully. Reverse the procedure last step first starting with installing the little screws holding your amp's chassis inside the enclosure. Tada... Instant makeover. :D

Oh yeah, if you have anything like a clip holding wires to the side remove those before moving the chassis out. If migrating to a head shell from a combo mount your reverb tank and fan first before you mount the chassis. The reverb tank mounts to the bottom with rubber grommets and t-nuts with machine screws. The fan mounts to the back of the front of the amp on what would be the speaker baffle if it was large enough to mount a speaker to blowing up onto the tubes. The head is tight so plug in your fan and reverb before completely sliding the chassis into the shell. If you have any more questions PM me.

Back