Mark IV Combo head conversions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rydock

Reaction score
So I have a mark IV compact combo and would like actually to convert it into a short head. I know there are a load of threads on this topic, and I've seen lots of pics of gts' beautiful work on his headshells. However, I haven't seen any threads about people actually cutting the combos shorter and forming it into a head. I would love to buy a new headshell, but I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible, as I will also need the money for an empty 1x12 cab for the speaker.

If anybody has converted the combo into a head, could you please chime in. I have access to a lot of power tools for the next few weeks while I'm helping out with some home renovations. I would like to hear some tips of how I should cut it and tolex it (should I just rip it off and buy new tolex?) The grille cloth should be real easy to salvage. Also, how high should the head be? How and where should I mount the fan? Will I be able to reuse footswitch storage mountings on the back?

One last thing, I've heard a lot of talk about the mkIV's reverb being total crap. I've never had a chance to use it since I got it because the reverb came separated from the combo. I never got a chance to try it, because I didn't want to screw anything up if I plugged it in wrong. I really dig reverb in general, but should I not even bother with the mkIV's tank and just get a reverb pedal? If so, I don't even want to mount it when I have the head completed and just leave the cables disconnected.

I hope you guys can help me out with this 'project'. Thanks!

If you're willing to cut the combo up, you should be able to just measure wherever you want and cut it. Just leave room for the fan and space to mount the reverb tank in the bottom. You will need a cover for the tank. In the bag it has a wood cover, but in a head it will mount upside down (through the bottom) and will need a cover for the springs. The footswitch mounting will stay right where it is. you're only talking about adding a new bottom to the shell once you cut it. I would think it would be pretty easy.

As far as the tolex, if it peels back without tearing, you could try and salvage it in one piece (remaining attached to the top above the cut point) and re-gluing it on the bottom. This could turn out great if you have good wood skills. Me personally, I'm just saving up for a shell from GTS for my MKIVa, that way I can go back if I change my mind later on...

Update: Change of plans. I'm going to attempt to build the headshell from scratch and keep the combo shell as an enclosure for the speaker for the time being. If anybody has plans or the dimensions for the short head shell, I would we extremely grateful.

edit: so I just found these measurements:

18 1/2? x 10 1/2? x 9?

Could anybody confirm that these are correct?

Rydock said:

18 1/2? x 10 1/2? x 9?

I have the depth at ~10 1/4 and height at ~8 1/4 measured off my Mark IVB head. I can't see where a little bigger (as you noted) would hurt, except for the fitting of the cover.

I'd PM members gts or trickyrick. They build them with great success.

dodger916 said:
Rydock said:

18 1/2? x 10 1/2? x 9?

I have the depth at ~10 1/4 and height at ~8 1/4 measured off my Mark IVB head. I can't see where a little bigger (as you noted) would hurt, except for the fitting of the cover.

I'd PM members gts or trickyrick. They build them with great success.

8 1/4" seems like a good height to work off of. I felt the 9" seemed a tad high, especially since I'm not going to install the reverb tank into it. As for the depth, I think near the top it's about 10 1/4", but it tapers slight to 10 1/2" as you get lower on the cabinet. At least it does on my combo.

Thanks a lot for the dimensions. Now I'm going to get my hands on some baltic birch, wood glue, wood screws, and some black taurus tolex.

Could anyone get me the exact depth of the top piece of the head shell? I would really appreciate it.

ryjan said:
Should be the same dimensions as your combo but shorter, no?

My combo is at the shop for repairs atm :lol:

I already cut all the general pieces of the head shell. Today I'm reshaping the top, and that is the only dimension I forgot in my mock-up. I was going to make it without the slant top, but I figured I won't be able to see the knobs, so I've decides to cut it up a bit.

Also, if possible, could someone let me know if the internal length of the box should be exactly 17"? So for I have my birch ply box at 17-1/16".

edit: so after some searching, I found a thread that said the mark III's top was 9-1/16"

Some people complain that the Mark IV reverb is crap but I find it to be fully adequate - sure not the best in the world but I bought an amp - not a reverb unit.

ymmv

cheers

topcat0399 said:
Some people complain that the Mark IV reverb is crap but I find it to be fully adequate - sure not the best in the world but I bought an amp - not a reverb unit.

ymmv

cheers

I constantly hear people saying how the reverb would suck tone when it`s on. When I get my amp back from repairs, I`m going to try it out and see for myself. If it does indeed suck tone, then I won`t bother installing the reverb in my new headshell, thus eliminating the need to make a cut-out for the tank.

Well since nobody really has an answer, I'm probably going to leave the internal width at 17-1/16" and hope it will be enough room for the chassis.

Back