Mark IV combo conversion questions by new member

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Donson

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

even though I own my "A" Mk IV combo for over a decade now I just recently came across this board (mainly because I am so darn happy with the amp that I never needed help or had any questions). But now I do have a question and already scanned the board for answers but couldn´t quite find complete help. So please pardon my question if it has been aswered already and I could find it.

As I said I own a "A" Mk IV combo and use it with an old Mashall 4x12. And as you all know the combo is so heavy that touring is a real pain in the behind - I travel with the combo in a flight case and the cab. Now I thought of converting the combo into ... well, anything lighter and more handy for use with the cab. Even though I love playing guitar and have been playing in bands for 15 years I never was much of a gearhead so what possibilities do I have to achieve "lighter" traveling and is it difficult to convert the combo into a head or rack? Which one would be prefered? Is it difficult to do? And what exactly do I need to do?

As far as my research goes so far: I learned that I can´t get a new and empty head chassis from MESA because they only have the ones for the newer "B" post ´94 Mk IVs with the removeable power chords and footswitch that won´t work with my version of the Mk IV.

So, any help and suggestions would be highly apreciated!

Thanks a ton in advance

thorsten from Kiel, Germany

Actually your Mark IV will fit in the new head cabs, just as long as you don't mind the footswitch not being able to mount on back of the head.

That is the only thing that doesn't fit because of the permanently attached cable get's in the way by about a 1/4 to 3/8th of an inch.

I know because I had been down that road din the past.
I recommend another MESA combo that is easier on the back than the MK IV, i recommend the Lonestar Special (LSS)....it's a great great sounding amp, with superior cleans to the MKIV, IMHO.

don't worry about the footswitch..but yeah a new cab will fit your head..

the lonestars cleans are very good but the mk iv 2 and 3 channels kick's the cr@p out of the lonestar's gain ...

thanks so far - that sounds pretty good. But what do I do with the fan and the reverb box? Is there enough space in the head cab for that? What about a rackmount kit?

And thanks for the advice on the Lonestar. But I have to agree with Shep. Nothing can touch the channel 2 on my Mk IV. And I really don´t want another combo but a Mk IV head without paying for a whole new one.

thanks
thorsten

I recommend that you buy the head cab from Mesa with the Reverb pan already installed. While you can transfer the reverb pan from your combo into the head unit, I found it to be a real pain in the arse....

Save yourself the headache (for an extra $30-40) you can buy the head with the reverb already installed. You can also get the head with the fan already installed too....but this is an easier installation, there is a metal bracket in the front of the head with the screw holes already in place to mount the fan (in dead center of the -- towards the front of the head.

As for the comment form the above poster regarding channels 2 & 3 trouncing the lonstar's gain, well I just recently sold my Mark IV after owning it for nearly 15 years.......

So yes, 3 (lead) on the MKIV is unmatched by any amp...however, channel 3 is really crappy in comparison...almost never used this channel when I had mine.

The clean on both Lonestar models is so...so much superior than that of the MKIV that IMHO it makes up for the superior lead channel on the MKIV....

and of note is that the word superior is very subjective as I personally prefer the lead I get on the LSS for what I now do...I can get a very liquid singing lead tone from the LSS that is incomparable (at the 5 watt setting), it is really incredible.

MKIV and Lonestar are both great amps.....MKIV's signature being it's lead tone, and the Lonestar, Mesa's finest cleans.

You decide what's most important for you.

Hi again,

thanks a lot to Shep and Jazzgear for the posts and the time you took to help me. Just one last question - what do you do with the footswitch since you can´t mount it on the back? Shep said to not worry about it. Hm, what does that mean?

But anyhow, now I know what to do and hopefully gigging will be easier from now on. Even though I ´ll probably miss the look on some stage-hand's face when he has to carry my Mk IV around. I always sort of liked the astonishment when someone chose to carry the combo over my 4x12 because it looked so much lighter :). Same goes with the other musicians around. I don´t know what it is but somehow combos don´t get any respect on stages, haha. But the minute I play the first note - everybody usually shuts up!

For the sounds. You are all probably right in your opinion! I think it comes down to taste in the end. I only played a Lonestar once in a store trying out a guitar and I really liked it (both the guitar and the amp). But what I really love about my Mk IV is that it grew on me over all the years. As I said I bought it over 15 years ago when I was into different types of music and needed the most versatile amp around. And I actually bought it for the clean and the lead channel - which I think still are remarkable. And as my musical taste and the bands I played in changed over the years - I didn´t have to change my amp! And as I also said before I am not too much of a gearhead. My setup has always been: fingers - guitar - amp. With the occasional tuner in between. I also neglected the rhythm cannel for years but just a couple of months ago I accidently found the greatest sound ever. So, the amp still continues to surpise me!

But what do I go on babbling about how great my amp is. After all this is a MESA/Boogie board. So I don´t really have to convince anybody!

Ohh, one last question. When I change channels it always takes the amp a short moment to change. Is that normal? I can´t quite remember if it did that in the beginning.

thnaks a lot for the time and the help
thorsten from Germany

P.S.: by the way. Our album comes out tomorrow in the US. Whish us luck!

I converted my short combo to a head last weekend. I bought the head cab on EBay and it had the reverb pan. Took about an hour. I was able to mount the footswitch on the back - but it sticks out of the back the depth of the footswitch.
I decided to leave the footswitch connected to the peadal board.

Unless you get your hands on an older MKIV head cab, you will not be able to mount the F/S...actually just the right side and not the left....but probelm is that the F/S buttons will be dangerously close to your power tubes.

My recommendation would be to just stick it in your gear bag as you'd do with a volume pedal or mount it to your pedal board (assuming you use one).

I got an idea! if you want lighter gear why don't you just sell your mark IV combo, and buy the mark IV head, maybe even trade a head for a combo, this way you don't need to buy anything extra!

Back