Mark IV Combo And Marshall Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alantig

Reaction score
I have a shot at getting a Marshall 1960 4x12 and I'm thinking about picking it up to use with my Mark IV combo (and my Budda combo). Good idea? What kind of differences in sound can I expect from the cab versus the stock speaker? Will I have to run the amp at a higher volume setting to drive the four speakers? I've never owned a cab before, so some of this is unknown territory for me.

Thanks!

Alan

I used to have a mark Iv combo which i converted into a head. i used it wich 2 marshall cabs (1960A original).

I didnt like it very much. they had no "living" bass and the sound was very projected. never the same. alot of pitching high notes that would hurt your ears and everything started to feedback!

I bought 2 mesa recto 2x12's instead and they sound much better.

I didnt like my mark IV wit 1960A's sorry.

I think you'll find the G12-75s (I think those are the ones) that come in the 1960A cab to be a git bright/thin compared to the MKIV speaker. I used to have a 1960a and when I changed the speakers to V30s it made a world of difference.

I didn't have to adjust the volume but getting more air moving around me did make it bigger feeling. When you use the 4x12, each speaker will get 25% of the power being fed to the cab whereas on the combo your 1x12 is getting all the power.

Wish I had kept my 4x12. I ultimately settled on Weber Silver Bells and have been using them since. Great speakers - V30 style with a smoother mid (not as buzzy).

The Marshall cab with the V30 speakers works great with the Mark IV. The stock speakers aren´t that great, but the v30 or greenback loaded ones are good. But I prefer the Rectifier cabs to any Marshall cab.

I used to play my MarkIV head through a 4x12 Marshall Vintage loaded with Celestions V 30's. The sound was very good, more than with a Marshall 4x12 with G12T-75's !
But 2 years ago i've bougth a Recto 2x12 loaded with the V30's... what a difference soundwise, the Recto 2x12 litterally kills the 4x12 V30's Marshall... the Boogie cabinets have far away better construction and quality material than the Marshall...
IMHO the best you can do for your amp is to plug it through a Mesa Boogie cabinet... it's the best combination for making the amp sounding at his best.

This is why I came here to ask - ask first, buy later! Better than buy first, be disappointed second, ask third, regret fourth, sell fifth - well, drink the fifth, sell sixth, buy again later.

Alan

Im using the MKIV combo into different boxes
And I have to say I Does turn it into another amp !!
I hightly recomend using a MKIV into Quad Boxes.

My main set up is into a Marshall cab with Old G12H-30's they make the amp Alot louder , Gainer & Punchier. It sounds SO MUCH different than the Combo sounds alone !

I also have a Very used cab with Celestion 75 watters & actually sound very good too , mabey because there very worn in !

Also a 2x12 with Original G12-80's there great too.

Keep the amp , just go out & try some Speaker Boxes

I've played my Mark III blue stripe with a GT-75 loaded cab, and thought it sounded fine! I don't play new metal or even heavy metal, so the huge bass was not needed. I mainly played classic rock with it. It had much more bottom end than the just the open back combo. Is their is a way to test them out together before you buy? Make sure the ohm's match too.

I run my Mk IV combo into a 1982 (that's the year) Marshall 1960A (that's the model number) with Rola 65W speakers and it sounds massive.

A 4x12 cab is the number 1 add on for a Mk IV combo IMHO.

Latest posts

Back