Mark IV clips

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaivxx

Reaction score
I got a rough mix from a location recording we did, this is unprocessed/unmastered except that I threw a tiny dose of Waves reverb on there to keep it from jumping so aggressively from the monitors.

I played the Kinman equiped homemade Strat straight into a Vox wah and then Straight into the Boogie. If you are one of those guys who hates strats and such, well, you will probably hate my tone here.

My band and I have all agreed not to let any of this out, eveyone is so damned self concious and since this was our first completely live recording together, we have decided to take what we have learned from this effort and apply it to the next gig that affords a good opportunity to set up he gear and try again. This is supposed to be destroyed, not listened to.

I just cut my guitar solos from 3 of the songs. The first two are from a Hendrix tune, the second two are from 2 Alman tunes. I am not sure what Mic was used on my guitar, or what mics we used in general. I was not there for soundcheck or setup, so for me it was a plug and play affair, which, with a Mesa, usually is not a good idea. Boogies like to be tweaked per environment.

This is 24/48 Wave converted to MP3, then imported into Sonar (which means reconverted into .wav) and then made MP3 again The reason for this is that my other guitarist, who did the recording, just gave me a disc with a single MP3 of the whole gig. So I imported into Sonar to extract a few moments when the Strat and Mark IV were clearly dominant in the mix.

within a couple weeks I intend to have better played/recorded samples....

Mark IV Sample 1
Sample 2
Sample 3
Sample 4

One last thing, i was not entirely happy with the tone as captured, and have been tweaking for over a week since we did this, and have some higher gain, yet still articulae, tones dialed in.

I am new to playing this style of music, so in some places my lines tend to degenerate into wandering, and, at times the bends are not exactly right, and, lastly, that particular night I was playing in the comp[lete absence of any sense of "groove", that is one reason that the recording these clips were cut from is being trashed.

This is great thanks. Can you give some details as to what channels in the amp you're using and settings? Is this the MKIV head or combo? thanks again great stuff!

I used a Mark IV combo with an EV 12". The Triode/Tweed/Class A/Harmonics. The channel you hear in these clips is the lead channel. 5 band EQ off, I dont really remember the tone, gain and dry settings, though I know the gain and drive would have been no higher than 8.

Just bought one of those really cool 2x12 half back cabs with the steel grill. gonna take the EV from the combo, swap it for the one in the sealed part of the cab, then seal off the top part as well, leaving the black Shadow in the top. The combo body is going to be mutilated and turned into a shorthead.

Hey thanks for the info. You could maybe sell the combo shell and buy a head cab from mesa with the money. I have the widebody MKIV combo which is a ***** to carry around to gigs. I think from mesa the head cabinet is around $250. Can't wait to hear more clips. Most of the MKIV clips I hear are more heavy metal(which is fine) so it's nice to hear this style.

I used Mark IVs for metal for a long, lon time, and they do excel at that for sure. They always get a bad rap from guys who love the toneless, modern buzzy fizz gain, but for really good, full bodies, well defined tones in which every nuance of the guitars wood is heard, you can't beat Mark series amps. I used to get some really crazy heavy sounds out of a Les Paul Standard with EMG 81 + 85 and a Mark IV head with 2 or 4 half back EV/Celestion loaded 4x12 cabs.

One thing about the Mark IV, once you get it dialed in, it will never fail to bring guitarists up to the stage afterwards to tell you how much they love your tone. Always wanted to set up a Mark IV off stage and mic it and put something like a Peavey Special 130 out next to the drums on top of some crap cab.... (not actually plugged to the guitar of course) just for fun.... Have dudes walking around gong "Man he gaets that tone out of a little solid state Peavey!!"

LOL I've been struggling with volume and R2. It's been about 3 months and I think I'm there(cross my fingers). You can't hide with the MKIV, I'm a struggling guitar player and the MKIV will out you every time. I take a lot a crap from my bass player, he hates mesa and Say's "it's not a Marshall" I love my Plexi but the MKIV can just do a lot more stuff. Thanks for the clips.

Back