Mark IV = Bane of my existance!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the tone of the C90 combo speaker leaves a lot to be desired. The Mark IV sounds a lot better through a 4x12 Traditional or 2x12 Recto horizontal cab.

I had a similar experience to what BigMesa described at our show last weekend: through the monitors my Mark sounded extremely shrill and trebly (while my bandmate's DR sounded like it was under a blanket), but I received no complaints from the FOH sound.

I just put an order in for a Mark IV head case to transplant my gigging Mark IV (no sense lugging around the extra 50 lbs just to use it as a head!). Mesa quoted just shy of $300 for the head case with a fan installed (I don't use reverb)... should arrive in 6-8 weeks. Might be something to consider (assuming you have an external cab for it).

Thanks for all of the replies. I gathered up all of my tubes I had laying around (I couldnt believe how many I have) and put all mesa tubes back in. It seemed to take some of the harshness away. I will find out for sure tomorrow at band practice. I have wanted to turn it into a head since I got it. I just dont have the cake to buy a new head shell. I do have along with the one thiele a mesa vert 212 with ev 12l's in it. The problem with the 212 is it is also kind of bright.... Thanks again!

Hate to bring this up, and please don't take this the wrong way, I'm sure you know what you're doing, but is there any tiny chance the EL-34s are in the inner sockets?

I agree with the Cab comment, put it through a 4 x 12 with V30's let us know what you think :)

A non high gain JJ in V1 will help.

Triode + 46L6's takes away a lot of harshness

Latest posts

Back