Mark IV Arrived - Rhy 2 is not working

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoolAIDMan

Reaction score
Just got back from Guitar Center where I picked up my new Mark IV that I'd been waiting for since March.

I have everything plugged in and have been giving in a run through to make sure everything works (including the wiring/cabling I did). So far, so good - except Rhy2 is nearly dead. No gain, no tone except what I'll call a real crappy clean vibe, no matter what the settings are. :cry:

I suspect a bad tube. Any tips on where I can start swapping tubes out? I was lucky enough to swing a full set of spare tubes free with my GC deal.

Thanks in advance!

KoolAID

Try changing V2 and let us know. BTW there is a tube chart on page 21 of the manual. Also, the tubes can wiggle loose during shipping, make sure all the plastic socks are off and push the tubes in their sockets gently....

I took all the plastic mesh socks off before turning it on the first time. I also checked to make sure all the tubes were seated securely in their sockets.

I've changed V2...it still sounds crappy. I do have one power tube that appears to be glowing a bit brighter than the others, and it has a slightly different sound to it when I tap it gently. I'll give that a try next to see if thats the culprit. In the meantime, I'm open to some ideas to troubleshoot this... I admit I'm new to this amp, and the book that came with it gives a little info but not alot.

Thanks again!

I've gone through and changed all the tubes now. I've tried a bunch of settings from grailtone and the ones that come in the book from Mesa, and they all have a similar result - Rhy2 sounds terrible. There is definately no punch or grind with high gain - it's very twangy and 'fwumpy'. I've been able to get a pretty respectable tone out of the lead channel, but Rhy2 is junk.

Anyone else heard of this problem in a new Mesa amp lately?

sounds like you have an actual problem (which i have no idea how to fix), but there are some people out there who just feel that way about Rhy2 overall..

Well, I switched out all the tubes and really spent some time with the dials. I was able to pull some gain out of it, but not nearly what I expected. The side effect I am seeing is that the lead channel has much more gain and attitude than it did before the tube switch.

Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like what I'm now getting out of Rhy2 is what I can expect. It sounds a bit tinny and 80's - but I'm sure it will serve it's purpose.

Thanks!

I think a lot of it has to do with your EMG pickups if that's the axe you're using.. R2 sounds amazing with my les paul and passive PAF type pickups. It sounds terrible with my EMG707's in my 7 string in comparison.

http://platypus.memoryfire.com/guitar/mark/ocd2.avi

this is w/ the LP and no boost, then half way through I engage a boost. R2 sounds great for low to mid breakup cranked tones but I think you're hearing how sterile your actives sound with a wide open amp.

Latest posts

Back