Mark III using additional pedals question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val666

Reaction score
Hey guys, can anyone explain to me how to use additional pedals with the Mark III?

I tried running a tube screamer through it but when I clicked on the pedal, the amp just goes silent. The pedal isn't broken it works on my other amps but the Mark III just cancels it out when I turn it on

The same happens on every other pedal I've tried using too. Is there a special way to use pedals with these amps I'm unaware of?

The Mark series amps input stage is similar to that of most other tube guitar amps. I used pedals in front of my Mark 3 now 4 with no problem as do many others (you can check out the effects section of the board - loads of people using boosts/overdrives). There's really no reason why it should be any different from any other guitar amp. If you get normal sound with the guitar plugged straight into the front of the amp but not when the pedal is on then there must be a fault somewhere wth the pedals, the way they are powered or the leads. Are you using batteries in the pedals or a power supply - a true bypass pedal with no power getting to it will pass signal in bypass but block it when the effect is kicked in.

Hey guys thank's for your replies.

I use a 9v power supply for the pedal (not batteries)

When I use it in the standard way it works fine until I activate the overdrive switch, then nothing happens. I tried several other pedals and the same thing happened. I even used an old Zoom 505 and the amp just rejected it outright, no signal.

All of the pedals I mentioned work perfectly elsewhere.

I tried the FX loop method but it reduces the volume of the amp a great deal

I purchased this amp used, so it could have faults.

I just stuck an old Korg tone works pedal in there (standard way) and it works just fine, so I guess the other pedals are incompatible with the amp.

Can anyone recommend a good overdrive pedal that's Mark III compatible???

Guitar goes into the right side of the pedal.
Cable going to amp goes into the left side of the pedal.
It's OK, we've all done it.

MrMarkIII said:
Guitar goes into the right side of the pedal.
Cable going to amp goes into the left side of the pedal.
It's OK, we've all done it.

hahahahaha I walked into that, touche!

The amp just seems to be allergic to the thing. It works fine on my other amps! Weird, ahh well I'll try something else.

Really there is no issue with some pedals not being compatible with the amp, thats making it sound more complicared than it is. If it doesn't work then there is a fault, its just a case of finding it because its not obvious to me what could cause this if the pedal is working. I wonder if it is something to do with the polarity of the pedals power supply. If you are absolutely sure that the exact same set up,Power supply leads etc works with other amps I would suggest trying a battery in the tubescreamer instead of the power supply just as a test. A tubescreamer in front of a Mk3 set for a cleanish boost should sound great!

I'm in the UK and I'm using a power converter to run my Mark III. I tried some battery powered pedals and they work fine, it's only when I use a power supply on a pedal when the amp rejects the signal.

I'm no tech but I'm assuming that's the issue.

Ah ok - so is it a 110V USA amp and you are using a transformer to convert the the UK 240V supply to 110? It should still work just the same. As pedals work when powered by batteries I still suspect some sort of earthing or polarity problem. Using the power supply, when you kick in the pedal does the light on the pedal come on with full brightness - would be useful to know? Earthing issues need to be sorted out - it is a vital safety feature. I would check that the polarity of the power supply for the pedals is correct for the pedals you are using - I would guess it is if they work on other amps. Then I think you should check that the amp is properly earthed. There should be a 3 pin plug on the amp with the earth wire connected. The amp chassis must have a continuous earth conection through the power converter to the mains plug. If the pedal with the same pedal power supply works on other amps then I suspect a problem with the polarity or earthing of the power converter. That needs sorting out whether you are using pedals or not.

Thank's for your advice Rob! Yeah the light on the pedal lights up (in the amp) whether it's run through a battery or a power supply.

This is my first Mesa Boogie, so I'm a noob. I'm useless at tech anything so I wouldn't know how to earth electrics. I guess I could give it a go, any tutorials here?

Back