Mark III Tech Question (C+ Mod)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Kind of a double question here, would a) a Mark III (not sure if the stripe will matter, but it's a red stripe amp) pass the C+ loop test, or "should" it pass the C+ loop test. And b) would a Mark III that has the C+ mod, so a III+, would or should that amp pass the C+ loop test?

Reason I ask, I just picked up a Mark III Red Stripe and am really diggin' the tone. It seems very noticeably different than the blue stripe I once owned (both were simul long chassis heads). So out of curiosity, I thought I'd try the C+ loop test, and when I plug my guitar into the return jack of the loop there is no affect when I turn the drive or volume knob.

Not sure if this meant anything in terms of whether the amp ever had the C+ mod done?

I'm no tech so looking under the hood is of no use to me, but lemme post some pictures anyway...pics to come.

A stock Mark III will pass the loop test. This is because it comes stock with the updated FX circuitry that the C+ touted. So, the only way to tell if the III+ mod was done is to physically open the chassis, and see that C30 was changed to a 1000pF cap.

PICS:

Any info as to mods that may be done, or anything out of the ordinary and feedback is welcomed & appreciated!

Thanks.

it hasn't got the 3 + mod but a red stripe is supposed to be closest to the c+ than any other stripes
the mod basically smoothes out the lead channel and makes the clean a bit more shimmery
if you are happy with yours I would leave or maybe get the r2 mod to balance r2 with the other channels

The red and blue sound almost identical to me.
What do you do to the blue stripe to red stripe, or "+" it?

The blue stripe has nothing in the C30 circuit on the preamp board, the red stripe has a 500pF cap in the C30 position. The 1000pF in C30 will round off the highs in the lead channel a little more. I personally would leave the red stripe preamp as it is. The R2 volume mod and maybe a pentode/triode switch for the class-A power tube sockets will do just fine. 8)

Thanks guys.

Yeah I have no intentions of changing anythings. Was just curious. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Yeah I really like the tone here.

Latest posts

Back