Mark III Solid State or Tube Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlosasi

Reaction score
Sorry but I spaced and forgot which Boogies were Solid State Rectified and which were Tube Rectified? While you're at it which kind of Tube Rectifier for the brilliant among us.

May we all be Rectified!

All Mark series amps are solid-state rectified. Bear in mind, all a rectifier does, be it tube or diode, is take the A/C from the electric co. and change it into D/C. All amps use direct current internally.
Mesas which use rectifiers typically use a 5AR4/GZ34, or the 5U4GB/A.

Solid State rectifiers let all of the current through, which means that the amp has maximum headroom.

Tube rectifiers have what is commonly referred to as 'Sag.'
Basically, they use a little more voltage up to operate, which lowers the overall voltages inside the amp.
They also create a bottle neck, which sort of starves the amp for current at a certain point and makes it sound sweeter or more vintage.

Yes that is what I'm talking about the sag or inability of the tube rectifier to allow all the current to flow through. It has an affect on the sound. Now there are more efficient and less efficient tube rectifiers each coloring the sound differently, do some solid state rectifiers similarly color the sound or are the all one flavor?

MrMarkIII said:
All Mark series amps are solid-state rectified. Bear in mind, all a rectifier does, be it tube or diode, is take the A/C from the electric co. and change it into D/C. All amps use direct current internally.
Mesas which use rectifiers typically use a 5AR4/GZ34, or the 5U4GB/A.

Except the Mark V of course, which has both diode and tube rectification. :D

Weber sells what they call a 'Copper Cap' rectifier, which simulates a tube.
I've used them in a few amps I've built. Haven't had the chance to A/B them yet though!

You can choose the amount of sag or the type of tube to emulate, which is pretty cool. You can also get one that doesn't need to plug into a tube socket, so it can be fitted into just about any amp.

Back