Mark III Simulclass tubes needed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremendo

Reaction score
Hey guys, what a great resource here.

I've got a Mark III Simulclass Green Stripe hardwood, EQ, Verb, I had Mesa make me back in 1989. Last year I replaced all the pre and power tubes with tubes I ordered from Mesa. I play rock / pop rock from the 70's to the present (mix of distorition and clean). I'd like a little more kick, without having to change bias or worry about blowing a tube (never blown one in 16 years ont his amp, it's my main amp).

I've read many Harmony Central tube ideas for boogies, but many seemed to cause problems. Does anyone have any recommendations for my needs, whether it be changing pre tube #1 or power tubes or whatever?

Thanks!

What do you mean by "more kick"? A pedal in front lots of good ones to choose from. More grind without a pedal? What settings are you using?

I guess I meant a little more alive, a little more aggressive. I'm pretty happy with the way I have the amp set, but I wanted to see what some better tubes could do for me. I use a GT-6 (4 cable method) and only use Boogie distortion. The GT-6 is used as echo, chorus, and master volume control.

Mainly I either use a 2004 American Strat Deluxe Ash or a Parker Fly Deluxe. Again, I use both distortion and clean, but all overdrive from the amp.

I can't attach an image apparently... basically I'm at.....
Volume 7.2
Treble 9 (pulled)
Bass 3 (pulled)
Middle 5.5
Master 2
Lead drive 6
Lead Master 3.5 (pulled)

EQ always on : 80 = flat, 240 = 1/4 boost, 750 flat, 220 = 1/8 boost, 6600 = 1/8 boost.

Presence = 5

Well, you could weed through the previous threads...there's quite a bit of "which tube for my amp" kinda posts...

What is your budget?

Yeah, I've gone through a lot of threads here and there. Just wondering if anyone had a recommendation for my particular setup and needs.

Budget? Not a concern for tubes.

In my mark III, I always ran th SPAX7 in V1, This past winter, I bought 3 GT12AX7M for an old Gibson amp, and tried them in V1,V2 & V3 of my Boog. There they stay...The SPAX7 is now a reverb driver... The GT's have a great mid responce, more complex, and warm. I realized how stiff the SPAX7's were...
For power tubes, I use the mesa 454 & 442. They sound great, the 454 being closest to the original 415's. I may try a different EL34 though. A more classic EL34 tube for my classA crunch settings. Not sure yet though. I know they'll be Mesa branded tubes though....
ax. :twisted:

I wouldn't worry about your power tubes at the settings your running they won't make a big difference. The GT12AX7M is GTs so called Mullard tube I have used them they can sound pretty good if you get a good one, they have some quality problems but this seems to be getting better over time. If you have a local tech and he installs them for you he will test them in your amp and shouldn't let you take it home without making sure you have good ones. I run Amperex Bugle Boys they have a wider frequency response and really sing on leads where the Mullards are more crunchy. For my smooth MKIIC+ tone I run Telefunkens very warm very smooth very little upper frequency grind. They really sound like Santana or a Dumble.

You could run your settings quit a bit hotter too. You might find you have more on tap there then you know. Also make sure your not loosing any volume between your guitar and amp. That you don't have a pedal turned down or a volume pedal that doesn't open up all the way that can kill your drive.

Latest posts

Back