Mark III settings Help.... Whitesnake '87 tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkle

Reaction score
Looking to get the Whitesnake '87 tone...
Any suggestions?

I am also open to other 80's rock settings...

One other question is

what is the best setting for clean to mean?

Sykes used two Mesa Coliseums (Mark III Models) slaved together with a slight delay between the two amps. He then doubled the rhythm parts.

Try these settings on your Mark III:
Volume 8-9
Treble 8
Bass 2
Mid 4
Master: wherever it needs to be
Lead Drive 4-5
Lead Master: wherever it needs to be
Presence 6
Reverb 3

EQ: Slight V with the center slider right around the middle.

Also, a Les Paul Custom with hot pickups helps. But the key ingredient is a REALLY strong set of hands with a wicked vibrato.

The last factor is to have the singer mix the tracks and bury the solos...

I was listening to the 1st Blue Murder CD a few weeks ago after seeing that he used those amps. (I ran across his website) It really does sound like a Boogie. He's an awesome guitarist!

He used the same two Mesa Coliseums for that 1st Blue Murder album.

Sykes is a friggin' monster. How he pulls off the vibrato **** that sounds like a tremolo is beyond me. He was always one of my biggest influences. I remember when I met Jose Arredondo before he died and he was telling me that Sykes was playing his Marshalls on the Whitesnake album, I was like, "Yeah....uh-huh. Right." Most likely confusing it with Slide it In.

That album is Boogie tone to the core....not to mention an old friend of mine is friends with Sykes and has had countless conversations about his gear.

Actually, Jose is right. Sykes did use a Jose modded Marshall for various parts on the Whitesnake 87 album. The solo on "Is This Love" is a good example of it.

DW said:
Sykes used two Mesa Coliseums (Mark III Models) slaved together with a slight delay between the two amps. He then doubled the rhythm parts.

Try these settings on your Mark III:
Volume 8-9
Treble 8
Bass 2
Mid 4
Master: wherever it needs to be
Lead Drive 4-5
Lead Master: wherever it needs to be
Presence 6
Reverb 3

EQ: Slight V with the center slider right around the middle.

Also, a Les Paul Custom with hot pickups helps. But the key ingredient is a REALLY strong set of hands with a wicked vibrato.

The last factor is to have the singer mix the tracks and bury the solos...

what kind of sound is it when you have to MK III's slaved together?

He probably used a little more lead drive though, since he plays with a hella lot of gain.

Latest posts

Back