Mark III Rhythm 2 gain???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyoung

Reaction score
I finally had the chance to try the other channels of the MKIII besides the lead channel. I've looked through the manual multiple times but I just don't see how you control the gain for the Rhythm 2 channel. Maybe I missed something.

Volume 1. This knob affects the gain on all three channels.
Only the Lead channel has a separate Drive control knob, however. The Lead Drive knob controls the gain of a separate 12AX7 tube that is engaged only in the Lead channel. But if you turn the Volume 1 knob down way low, you will get less overdrive from the Lead and R2 channels. The Treble control also adds a bit of gain the higher you set it. Engaging R2 while in the Lead channel adds a tad bit more oomph to the Lead channel. Yep, you can run R2 and Lead simultaneously.

Thanks MrMark. I primarily use 1 channel at a time. So if I have the Rhythm 2 engaged and have Volume 1 on 10 than that is all the gain I will get out of Rhythm 2. I suppose if I wanted to add more gain to the channel I would have to run a pedal in the front of the amp.

cyoung said:
Thanks MrMark. I primarily use 1 channel at a time. So if I have the Rhythm 2 engaged and have Volume 1 on 10 than that is all the gain I will get out of Rhythm 2. I suppose if I wanted to add more gain to the channel I would have to run a pedal in the front of the amp.
Yes, but that's what ch3 is for. (Don't get me wrong...I have often put a dirt pedal in front of my MkIII for something totally different than the traditional ch3). For pedal suggestions, depending upon what sound you're shooting for, TS-9 and derivatives (Fulltone Fulldrive 2, etc.), Lovepedal Kalamazoo, OCD, Klon, etc. work really well.

kdorsey said:
cyoung said:
Yes, but that's what ch3 is for. (Don't get me wrong...I have often put a dirt pedal in front of my MkIII for something totally different than the traditional ch3). For pedal suggestions, depending upon what sound you're shooting for, TS-9 and derivatives (Fulltone Fulldrive 2, etc.), Lovepedal Kalamazoo, OCD, Klon, etc. work really well.

Absolutely. Depending on which guitar or type of music I'm playing, or sound I'm looking for, I use various overdrive and boost pedals all the time. It can be a revelation.
There are no rules.
Well, just one rule: Don't be led around by the nose by internet opinions.

Yes, volume 1 adds gain to R2. And the treble control will also add gain, you can hear the treble control really kick in the gain when you raise the treble past 6.5 or 7. Of course doing this hurts your clean so it's a trade off. I found also that OD pedals work great with R2.

Back