mark III (or IIc+, IV whatever ;) ) clean sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoi

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Recently i am starting to like the clean sound of my mark III. I really love the sounds that i am getting from the jazz presets from the manual (may with an additional pull bright - no eq use, presence about 5). I noticed that these sounds really do like od or distortions effects. A cheap old Boss turbo distortion (or turbo overdrive ? Can't remember its name ... . It was old an had 2 modes like the fulltone fulldrive) sounded really good through it. What do you think? Who of you here uses your mark only for clean sound and for od just pedals?

so far,
ahoi

I do like the cleans on my blue stripe, and have a few settings I like. I also have an anologman TS9/808 that I use mainly to push an old Gibson EL84 amp I have, and have pushed the cleans on my Mark III with it as well. I have been using my R1 and R2 alot recently, and lead with lower gain settings, as I'm in a jam/blues/classic rock band. I find the Mark III a little too aggressive, and the thieles are a little immediate. I LOVE my mark, but seem to be wanting a more vintage tone with an open back combo..(!) I'm leaning towards the Lonestar Special 2-12... If you get an opportunity to try one, definitely do! Very expressive cleans to overdrive, and very loud given it's low wattage (5,15,30 )
My Mark is really a metal machine, does spanky clean well, and has great crunch, but is lacking in vintage feel, and complexity. I think it may be time to change...But first I need to try her through an open back 2-12 cab with lower wattage speakers....maybe this will rectify her tone..
If she goes up for sale, it'll be in the forums first, as I'd rather see a true lover of the amp get her, rather than an ebay shopper, even if I have to take less $$......
ax. 8)

A MkIII a mere speaker system for a $80 distortion pedal??!! Sacrilege! :shock:

LOL, but seriously, I woulnd't dream of it, I am totally in love with the natural distortion of the MkIII, it is simply "My Sound". I will use a bit of delay or phaser here and there, but only for a bit, I like to hear the pure tone! The cleans are great, but not so easy to get simultaneously with the best distortion on the lead channel. Just takes some tweaking.

why would it be sacrilege ;) ? To have one really good sound on a mark III you have to use all knobs on the amp, the channels are totally dependent. When dialling in a good distortion sound, the clean maybe still ok, but does not like pedals that much. I just tried to get a sound that runs good with pedals and it works :) ! There may be situations where you want to do that setup because youd don't need that organic high gain lead sound in first place ( for example pop, funk, coverband band ... whatever ).

I don't like the "clean" of my MKIII at all...maybe I'm just so used to my Twin Reverb, but the Mesa sounds very bland and flat.

Axe swapping amps! That's headline news, man! :shock:

Latest posts

Back